1990 7.3 IDI Glow Plug Relay

Dan2dxs1

Reaction score
So I pulled my starter then when replacing it swapped wires in error which I found out when I connected the battery it began whirring. I switched connections and it would turn over but the glow plug relay stopped clicking. What to check?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Can you take a picture of the starter relay so we can confirm you have it wired right?

Dan2dxs1

Reaction score
Top is starter relay & bottom is starter....thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Now it's been a while for me, but on the lower, right hand large cable, I don't think that second wire should be there. I don't ever remember having to unhook anything there in order to remove the starter. I'd try removing it and trying to figure out where it goes. That's probably your issue.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
After looking at your pictures again. There seems to be a problem with your starter solenoid too. The lower wire on it looks like it could be the top end of the second wire that I said shouldn't be on your starter at all. The heavy positive from the battery should probably be there. I'm not sure if that wire should be on there or not. The positive off the battery should be the same size as this smaller wire. Otherwise, you'll burn it up pretty quickly.

Dan2dxs1

Reaction score
You mean the ones I marked?
The starter is the only thing I removed. The wire I’m indicating with yellow may be on the wrong pole. I’m fairly sure it was attached to the starter.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fender mount solenoid terminal should have one single wire on the "output" terminal(big terminal not connected to the battery), which goes to the little terminal on the starter itself. At the starter, there should be the aformentioned wire to the little terminal, plus the heavy battery terminal comnected to the outward large starter terminal. The inner starter terminal should have one wire going straight into the main body of the starter. Anything else should be suspect and traced back.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You're right, Macrobb. For some reason, I was thinking about a gas engine starter. I completely blanked out the fact that the heavy positive goes straight to the starter. Dan, the wire that you indicated with yellow, will only have power when the starter is being activated. It's not there from the factory. I have no idea what that wire could be for. this is also the only time that I've seen a washer used underneath the nuts on the starter terminals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online