1990 7.3 idi e4od transmission issues

KyleJamesBrockman

Reaction score
Ok this problem is a doozy so I’ll try to explain best I can and hope somebody knows these transmissions well enough to point me in the right direction.

To start the truck is a 1990 7.3 idi automatic 4 door bronco. It’s all factory. No modifications except for an hd billet torque converter. I had the transmission rebuilt this fall. Transmission works great mechanically.

Since the rebuild, the tach has not worked (not a tach sensor issue.) When it rains heavily or I take the truck through a car wash, however, the tach works for a few miles. When the tach is working the transmission operates strangely. Soft shifts, erratic shifting between 3 and od. Etc.

Since the rebuild, when I was towing heavy for a long distance the truck would not shift down to 1st when I stopped. Could not do it manually either. This began happening more frequently, then stopped for a few months. This issue is back now, and the truck never shifts down to first. Not even when I start it up.

Also the truck was leaking transmission fluid out the top vent one night. Has not happened since.

I know that was long but thank you for reading. Any help is greatly appreciated. Y’all have a good day and good luck with your projects

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who did the tranny rebuild? Have you mentioned these symptoms to them and what did they say? I hope you got some sort of warranty on the rebuild.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If you can't manually pull it into first with the shifter, either the shifter is out of adjustment, or there's something really funky going on with the valve body....
Is your o/d light flashing?

KyleJamesBrockman

Reaction score
A good shop near me did the rebuild. I do have it warrantied but I thought it might be electrical so I wanted to figure it out myself as it’s my only truck running right now. Od light is not flashing and the shifter is adjusted perfectly

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Check the TCM for water damage. (inside left kick panel)
The TCM needs a good tach signal in order to work correctly. No signal or erratic signal will cause shift issues.

Starting in a higher gear is usually no power to the TCM. Check the TCM relay. (under hood left fender)

ZachW98

Reaction score
@KyleJamesBrockman did you ever figure out what was causing the issue? Not sure if we have the same problem but I'm running a similar setup 89' Bronco with the 7.3 idi diesel and e4od. Tach all of a sudden doesn't want to work and has intermittent shifting issues but it'll drive just fine sometimes. The main difference we have is I ordered a rebuilt tranny from here https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=E4OD and let a local shop do the install for rather cheap I might add.

BossHog

Reaction score
My issue is slightly different but similar symptoms. I lose my lower gears after shifting up. If I put it in park when I come to a stop I get my lower gears back. So I guess my issue is no downshifting. I talked to a builder that was familiar with the E4OD and he said the speed sensor on the back of the tranny should be tested. Mine has soft shifts too which I think is just an early shifting problem. That might be a TPS adjustment. There is a lot of play on those TPS brackets with lots of room for adjustment, also lots of room to be slightly out of adjustment. That is where I am starting. Testing the speed sensor on the tranny and playing with adjustment on the TPS. There is a way to test the TPS but I don't have the equipment for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.