1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1989 International S1600

Discussion in 'Performance & Upgrades' started by S1600, Oct 22, 2019.

1. S1600

S1600 Registered User

I bought an ex u haul truck. With only 188,00 miles. 7.3 with 5 speed with super low 1st gear. I think the trans is a clark or spicer. Truck looks like its only a couple years old under the hood or underneath.Motor even looks new,maybe it was a replacement? Got it from a church. It has a 26 foot box and is the low profile version with air bags in the rear. I think it has the 4.33 rear gears as the truck will run 65 on interstate. I am going to use the truck as a toy hauler (only motorcycles). But the trips I will take are anywhere from 5-10 hours. I really need to be able to do 75 on the interstate. I know the truck has a SAE 2 bell housing. Can someone please help me figure out a 6,7,10 speed transmission to help with my top speed? I plan on adding a turbo kit from hypermax. But before I drop $3k I want to try a trans swap first. Thanks in advance.

2. DaveBen

DaveBen Supporting Member Supporting Member

The number of shifts has to do with the lower end through to the top. The final Over Drive ratio is still pretty close to a 5 spd. I drove a 13 speed for years and all I remember is that I could shift 4 times going through an intersection.

3. riphip

riphip Supporting Member Supporting Member

Maybe you can find a 2 speed rear axle to get you there. Should be plenty out there.

4. compressionignitionrules

compressionignitionrules Full Access Member

Nice score, I agree on the 2 speed rear axle, might even score a better gear ratio in the high set. that would probably be your cheapest route. posting a pic of your new truck would be a great thing to share.............:popcorn.

I watched for one of these trucks for years to put my 67 Merc 700 cab/front on but they disappeared too soon here in Ontario.
    and now they are a classic themselves.