1989 Ford F-250 7.3 IDI 4X4 C6 to ZF swap

56 Ford man

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I'm starting to collect the pieces needed for the swap. I'm going to buy a rebuilt ZF with a warranty. I'm under the impression that it will bolt right up to the transfer case. I'm trying to find out if there are tranny length differences between them to know how the drivelines are going to fit up. Also is there a spacer part number for the starter mounting since the trans doesn't have a starter opening. This truck also has a Gear vender OD behind it that I'm going to retain.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tail shaft and housing comes off the tranny and the transfer case bolts up. You will need to get a short out put shaft and housing. I have no experience with the Gear Vender OD.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GVOD is situated to the back of the T-case, so that shouldn't be a problem unless you change out your transfer case. What Dave said about the short output shaft and housing is correct. What kind of t-case do you have? That will determine what housing adapter you'll need for the manual tranny.

56 Ford man

Reaction score
I'll have to see if there is a I.D. plate on the transfer case. I had a donor truck that had a 460 gas motor in it with the ZF in it that I will use as core material. it has a transfer case on it so hopefully I'll have what I need. I did get the pedal and master cyl. and slave with it so I can match that stuff up with new. The clutch fork and the rest. I also found out that the starter / bell spacer is the same for auto or stick and the starter is the same. not worried about driveline lengths I'll remake them if I need to. Just wondering if I left anything out. I will be buying a new solid mass flywheel and clutch kit.
I do know the bell pattern is different from the gas unit to the diesel and the ratios are different too and the tranny people will at least give me something for it as a trade in core.