1988 7.3 IDI sawp into 2000 truck?

Chad Douglas

Reaction score
I have a 1988 F350 IDI. It's engine is good and the rest of it is crap.

I also have a 2000 7.3 F350 that needs an engine but body is good.

Is this a doable swap? If so, what has to be swapped to make the computers happy?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It's been done. But if you are in a smog state, it wont pass.
If you're swapping the engine and trans, there's no computer to worry about.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Chad Douglas

Reaction score
It's been done. But if you are in a smog state, it wont pass.
If you're swapping the engine and trans, there's no computer to worry about.

The newer truck has a manual tranny which I would be keeping. So will the older IDI drop right in or do I have to swap heads, intake, etc?

Also, you say it won't pass a smog check. Will the check engine light be on? In my state, there's no sniffing, but a simple OBD2 check for readiness monitors, etc.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You should read up on the differences between the idi and powerstroke.
Also might as well forget about the swap with having smog checks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been gathering parts for this swap for a while. Going to look at a wrecked 2010 F350 that had the engine sold out of it. Check your local laws and go for it. I have seen several swaps on the forums but never checked if any were Tx. Maybe someone can chime in from that state. The swap link shared above was a good build. I followed it all the way through. Check out this guy.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1988 F350 IDI. It's engine is good and the rest of it is crap.

I also have a 2000 7.3 F350 that needs an engine but body is good.

Is this a doable swap? If so, what has to be swapped to make the computers happy?

I've never done this, but you most likely could leave the PSD harnesses intact and just run switched power to the fuel cutoff solenoid on the IDI. You'll get a boatload of codes on the PCM and the SES dash may look like a christmas tree but it would probably run.

Does the 00 F350 have a mechanical odometer? I can't remember what year they switched to digital.

I'd guess in Texas they aren't emissions Nat-zees like other states.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The newer truck has a manual tranny which I would be keeping. So will the older IDI drop right in or do I have to swap heads, intake, etc?

Also, you say it won't pass a smog check. Will the check engine light be on? In my state, there's no sniffing, but a simple OBD2 check for readiness monitors, etc.

Then you will never pass. The odb2 won't even register a reading which means they can't even pass you. With an odb2 test, that means you're in a smog state and it's illegal to put an older motor into newer vin code. It's legal to do the opposite.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then you will never pass. The odb2 won't even register a reading which means they can't even pass you. With an odb2 test, that means you're in a smog state and it's illegal to put an older motor into newer vin code. It's legal to do the opposite.

If the truck needed an OBD scan for emissions, then yes, the IDI wouldn't pass with all of the error codes that would show up unless you could fool the PCM.

If I was the original poster I'd give a call to the local inspection station to confirm, or do some research online about diesel emission test.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2000 and 1988 diesel engines had no EPA emission controls, with the exception of the powerstroke having a manual transmission then it was spec'd to have a catalytic converter for soot control during lugging, automatics had no converter.