1987 6.9idi won't start

Storm02

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1987 Ford F-250 with the 6.9idi engine. The truck hasn't ran in over a year. I replaced the fuel filter and then ran a temporary fuel line from a clean fuel source and primed the system. The fuel filter housing I'd purged of all air and the injection pump has pushed fuel to all injectors. However the pressure seems to be extremely low just enough for fuel to seep from the crack lines during bleeding. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. This is my first diesel engine and I'm trying to learn. Thank you

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds normal to me. You'll need working glow plugs or a block heater to get it to fire, sounds like you have fuel to the injectors which is a good thing. I'd plug the block heater in for a couple hours if you don't know what shape the glow plugs are in, then with the throttle to the floor see if it'll catch.

How fast is the starter spinning the engine? Weak starter or batteries will hold you up too, these take a good bit of juice to spin fast enough to fire.

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second that. I had same issue. Just had to get it hot enough to start. Try plugging the heater in for a few and start it. I needed new plugs and I suggest a new controller or bypass it as I learned the hard way and went through two sets of plugs in 2 weeks time.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you getting any smoke out of the exhaust?

Disabling the glow plugs and letting the intake sniff a rag dampened with gas should get it to fire. Cranking the **** out of it will get it to fire too in reasonable weather. But it's really ******* the starter.

Storm02

Reaction score
Sounds normal to me. You'll need working glow plugs or a block heater to get it to fire, sounds like you have fuel to the injectors which is a good thing. I'd plug the block heater in for a couple hours if you don't know what shape the glow plugs are in, then with the throttle to the floor see if it'll catch.

How fast is the starter spinning the engine? Weak starter or batteries will hold you up too, these take a good bit of juice to spin fast enough to fire.

Storm02

Reaction score
The Batteries are brand new and fully charged, and we were using the charger to throw more power to it. It's spinning at around 500 RPM. Are the glow plugs a necessity? I thought they were only for the cold?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Batteries are brand new and fully charged, and we were using the charger to throw more power to it. It's spinning at around 500 RPM. Are the glow plugs a necessity? I thought they were only for the cold?

Yes they are a necessity, unless you want to crank forever or use the block heater. These old IDIs are cold blooded anyway. Once she's run and built up some heat you shouldn't need them the rest of the day, but you'll need them for a "cold start" even when it's hot out.

Storm02

Reaction score
I haven't changed the glow plugs yet but I'll definitely put it on the list. As far as the wet gas rag I assume it's something similar to using starting fluid? Which we have been spritzing trying to yet it to fire. Though the guy helping me our said the yes fuel was getting to the injectors but he said not enough pressure that it should of been squirting a little?

Storm02

Reaction score
One cylinder is intermittent and barely firing producing no smoke that is noticeable.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't changed the glow plugs yet but I'll definitely put it on the list. As far as the wet gas rag I assume it's something similar to using starting fluid? Which we have been spritzing trying to yet it to fire. Though the guy helping me our said the yes fuel was getting to the injectors but he said not enough pressure that it should of been squirting a little?

I hope you completely disconnected your glow plugs if you're using starting fluid! Yes, that's why he said gas on a rag, much safer from what I've heard, although I've never tried it myself.

It's possible you're not getting enough pressure, but I've never seen them "spray" out with the lines loosened, usually just bubble a little. I'd wager it probably just needs a little more cranking.

Are you getting white smoke from the tailpipe?

Are you cranking with the throttle wide open?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One cylinder is intermittent and barely firing producing no smoke that is noticeable.

Sounds like it's trying, these things are a bear to start after sitting sometimes. I'm wondering if it's still trying to bleed air out, just starting to get fuel through the injectors... I'd try cranking a little more either way.

Storm02

Reaction score
I hope you completely disconnected your glow plugs if you're using starting fluid! Yes, that's why he said gas on a rag, much safer from what I've heard, although I've never tried it myself.

It's possible you're not getting enough pressure, but I've never seen them "spray" out with the lines loosened, usually just bubble a little. I'd wager it probably just needs a little more cranking.

Are you getting white smoke from the tailpipe?

Are you cranking with the throttle wide open?

Storm02

Reaction score
I'm getting no noticeable smoke and the plugs a set on a manual switch. Cranking has been done without throttling at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online