1986 f350 drw diesel swap ideas

bradk924

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this site and was wanting some input. I have a 1986 ford f350 drw 6.9l idi with a 4 speed manual. It pulls and it's powerful, but I've often find when I load down the trailer it doesn't want to move it, espically on steep hills I'm running first or second gear chugging along smoking out everything behind me. I'm considering doing a diesel swap for a different diesel with more pulling power. My first thought is the 7.3l powerstroke good engine which is a large step up from a idi (plus a ford in a ford). I also have the cummins swap in mind because it has a large amount of torque because of the inline design plus the aftermarket support for both engine and conversion kits. Then the idea of a international engine a dt466? Cat engine crossed my mind a few times there torque monsters. I always enjoyed the idea of putting a detroit diesel 453t into a ford truck (had one in the class when I went to vocational school, I fell in love with the way the 2 stroke is and espically the 453t). My family owns and operates a machine and fab shop for almost 40 years so making componets inst a major problem. I'd like to hear what others think for good engine swap ideas. What do you think would be a good heart to put between the frame rails of my beast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd go one of two ways. Either source another 6.9 and build it to the hilt with a turbo. Or the cummins 5.9 12v.
All that said, its not me, its you LOL. And your more exotic swaps do sound interesting, it would definitely be fun to watch a cat come to life in there.

bradk924

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd go one of two ways. Either source another 6.9 and build it to the hilt with a turbo. Or the cummins 5.9 12v.
All that said, its not me, its you LOL. And your more exotic swaps do sound interesting, it would definitely be fun to watch a cat come to life in there.
I'm wanting to just get rid of the 6.9 all together. A 5.9 does sound like a very big leap forward and it's a amazing engine, but then there's that little part of me screaming it's been done before do something different or something not often done.

2 doors for classy ******

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
If it were me I'd go 12v or dt466 or a built 6.9 but you don't want one lol. The Detroits are gutless ya they sound mean but so does a straight piped Idi lol.the dt has a big aftermarket backing because it's used in a lot of pull tractors.and the 12v well we all know that has a huge aftermarket backing. The 7.3 I wouldn't do unless you like a lot of wiring and bone stock a slightly modded Idi will keep up with it. Plus it's way more exspensive to build.just my opinion like he said its your truck lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this will turn those classy ****** into dirty ***** :sly
with that said, do something that hasn't been done before.

You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you decide to go the DT route, you may want to go for a 360 unless you want to build a dog house in the cab. A 466 is really long for a pickup. There are a couple guys here recently that have done the 360's and like them. Look up subway particularly. There is another build in here somewhere where those Jon and Brandon (the resident IH guys) are putting a 466 in an IH pickup. That might help you get started on your thinking and choosing.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?70009-DT360-into-1991-F350

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?75190-Subways-DT360-into-my-94-F350

bradk924

Reaction score
this will turn those classy ****** into dirty ***** :sly
with that said, do something that hasn't been done before.

You must be registered for see images attach
I'm talking about a single cab long bed dually. That truck will drop into the bore of that big *******. It would be nice though I'd be draggin moutains were ever I wanted to.

bradk924

Reaction score
youre talking lifter bore, right?
There will be alot of places on that engine that the truck is smaller than. The turbo on that engine is bigger than the truck. Isn't that engine something like 20000liters or cubic inches?

bradk924

Reaction score
If you decide to go the DT route, you may want to go for a 360 unless you want to build a dog house in the cab. A 466 is really long for a pickup. There are a couple guys here recently that have done the 360's and like them. Look up subway particularly. There is another build in here somewhere where those Jon and Brandon (the resident IH guys) are putting a 466 in an IH pickup. That might help you get started on your thinking and choosing.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?70009-DT360-into-1991-F350

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?75190-Subways-DT360-into-my-94-F350
Building the fire wall and trans tunnel out more wouldn't be that major of a problem, break out the death wheel and cut it out once the engines in just measure around and tig weld up some steel. Or even pop rivet some old signs together and bend it to the dimensions I need. The trucks going to be just a farm truck it doesn't have to look the best as long as it'll pull. The trucks most likely just gonna be worked till it returns to the earth and rusts away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online