1986 F-150 conversion thoughts

Shamoke

Reaction score
An hours drive south of the infamous Ferguson MO.
I have a 1986 F-150 with a 351 Windsor and a three speed auto and a low speed rear end, an old farm truck apparently. I am thinking of pulling the gas engine and auto tranny then putting in either a Cummins 4BT or an Isuzu 4BD1T 6 cylinder, maybe even an Mercedes OM606 if I could find one cheap enough.

I'm also thinking about installing a manual tranny with the diesel like the ZF5 if I could find the adaptor plates for whichever engine I go with. There are two fuel tanks on the truck and I wonder about re-purposing them for diesel along with the fuel lines and tank selector switch.

Has anyone done this with a similar truck and what are you thoughts of problems encountered and your solutions?

Catimann

Reaction score
I have a 1986 F-150 with a 351 Windsor and a three speed auto and a low speed rear end, an old farm truck apparently. I am thinking of pulling the gas engine and auto tranny then putting in either a Cummins 4BT or an Isuzu 4BD1T 6 cylinder, maybe even an Mercedes OM606 if I could find one cheap enough.

I'm also thinking about installing a manual tranny with the diesel like the ZF5 if I could find the adaptor plates for whichever engine I go with. There are two fuel tanks on the truck and I wonder about re-purposing them for diesel along with the fuel lines and tank selector switch.

Has anyone done this with a similar truck and what are you thoughts of problems encountered and your solutions?
There is a video of a guy on Y.T. who has a 150 with a 4BT. Very informative, get superb fuel mpg and liked it. I asked the DieselPumpUK guy about a larger motorhome install and he said it would not like the heavy vehicle and run hot. The 150 is not as big by any means so it cold work.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
he is not on here very much anymore but @Darrin Tosh did a clean 4bt on a F150 that he uses as his plow and run around truck on the car lot. He really liked it and thought it was a great fit. unfortunately I don't know many of the install details. I would have to search but he might have did a build thread.

edit: I found the build thread but it got hit by the great photo delete. The trucks name is Droopy and I believe he might have pictures still on his facebook page.

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
he is not on here very much anymore but @Darrin Tosh did a clean 4bt on a F150 that he uses as his plow and run around truck on the car lot. He really liked it and thought it was a great fit. unfortunately I don't know many of the install details. I would have to search but he might have did a build thread.

edit: I found the build thread but it got hit by the great photo delete. The trucks name is Droopy and I believe he might have pictures still on his facebook page.

Droopy is a fun truck to drive. When I bought my Jetta from Darrin a few years ago, I was looking at Droopy and the conversion. Darrin handed me the keys and said take him for a spin. It moved that Regular Cab F-250 4x4 ZF-5 down the road well. It had plenty of power, for a “little 4 banger”… but I believe that Droopy received some of the same engine “stuff” that Big Ed did also. I enjoyed the drive I took in it. I would not have a problem running one in my own truck…..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.