1986 6.9 Pistons

NorthernMaverick

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions on what company to use for pistons for a B block 6.9 idi. Preferably in a set as we need to replace them all. Don't need the most optimum top of the line, just something at a reasonable price and decent quality. Thanks

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Mahle was the OE piston supplier and they are the most common, by far. There may not be many other options these days either.

NorthernMaverick

Reaction score

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Their brand is Silv-O-Lite. I used to work in a shop that remanned these engines. This is the brand that we used to use. There was an issue with the snap rings that they got from another supplier. They weren't made right and they would come out of the wrist pin, causing the wrist pin to walk out causing a catestrophic engine failure. We quit using them and switched to Sealed Power. I just watched part of a You Tube video yesterday (until I couldn't stand the stupidity any longer) where they were using Sealed Power pistons in a 6.9. The video was from 2018 so I assume that they're still available. Now back to Silv-O-Lite. I used this brand in my 7.3 a couple of years ago. From contcting them directly, I don't believe that the still make them for a 7.3IDI (not sure about a 6.9). Mine were NOS from 2001. They did know about the snap ring issues. I believe that they did something to resolve it. The snap rings seemed like they were stiffer (to compress) than others that I remember. There was also a cautionary note in the box to not compress the snap rings any more than needed. This long reply was to let you know that there was an issue with them in the past, but was not saying that they aren't any good to use. From what I remember, the issue was from early 1994 to the later part of 1995.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Silvolite says:
Notes: This is a Race Only product that is to be used solely for competition. It cannot be used on vehicles that are operated on public streets, roads or highways. Its use is limited to closed-course and open-course racing that is formally sanctioned by a recognized racing organization. Any other use, including recreational off-road use, could be in violation of local, state and federal laws. Shipping Restriction: CA, NY, ME.
Oh, no! We better not use these!

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used UEM Dualaoy pistons. They are cast pistons designed for diesel motors. Working fine so far. I will say that the finish on my old Mahle pistons was much smoother though, and I would have bought new Mahles if they were available at the time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online