1986 6.9 fuel issues

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running an eBay selector valve in my rig. it came with a new blade type connector. it was a direct fit for $68 plus tax and shipping. my old connector was broken. I just un-pinned the connector and installed the old pins into new connector. I tried to open the old selector and did get it opened, but the plastic was brittle and kept breaking. it was really dirty inside. almost like the plastic was etched/eroded. I changed the O-rings in the fuel unions while I had it out too. that was definitely a tricky little operation. I checked operation by disconnecting the fuel unions of the opposite tank while the engine was running. The front lines off while using from the back and vise versa. Everything is working as it should now.
The only thing that kinda got me was how cheap it is compared to everything else.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So at this point I’m thinking about doing a manual valve like my f100 has. I found a 6 port manual valve that I would mount right next to the drivers seat.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
So I ended up bypassing my tank selector valve. I am running off of the rear tank right now. I have a clear bowl on my fuel pump and I can see the fuel level in the bowl go up and down significantly. It will be all the way full and then will all go down to about an inch off of the bottom of the bowl. It looks like it is still getting a ton of air. I will swap over the lines and run directly from the front tank and see if that changes anything

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Folks have reported air intrusion at the fuel bowl gasket on the Facet pumps. Might pull it off and check it out. If I recall correctly the poster fixed his issue by cleaning and greasing the seal. The reinstall. Not too tight! Plastic....

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Laine blow both lines out back to the tank and make sure they are clear. Like GB said, the bowl will pull air under a good amount of suction.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks have reported air intrusion at the fuel bowl gasket on the Facet pumps. Might pull it off and check it out. If I recall correctly the poster fixed his issue by cleaning and greasing the seal. The reinstall. Not too tight! Plastic....
I’ll check that out, maybe it has vibrated loose or something?

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laine blow both lines out back to the tank and make sure they are clear. Like GB said, the bowl will pull air under a good amount of suction.
I will. When I cut the lines to bypass them they had a pretty good flow out of it. But maybe there’s a clog. I’ve kinda eliminated the shower heads from my issue because they were supposedly replaced before me and I can run the truck all the way to empty with no issues. It was weird seeing the pressure surging.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what I plan on doing is pulling my bed off next week and go through my tanks and fuel lines. I’m sure that my issue is just revolving around the age of the truck lol.