1985 F250 2wd powered by Hino 4cylinder diesel and 5spd trans.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just purchased this truck on Sunday, soembody did a lot of work on the conversion but never completed the cooling system, fuel management or clutch controls. I've worked at a Hino dealer for many years and alwasy wanted one of the early 4cyl diesels for a pickup because of the timing gears at the front, the newere ones have it all at the rear and an overhead cam. I had the motor turnign over by hand but it felt a little tight in one spot. goign to tinker with it when we are slow at work, I do have soem plans for it. have a 1984 shortbed to match for it in usable condition, shorten the frame and maybe put F150 beams/brakes/rear axle. cab is usable and front clip is all new parts. disgracefull paint adhesion trmeclad doesn't stick to spot putty if you don't prep it. hope to get more pics up in the next few weeks. my daughter took 1 of me dropping it off at work behind the shop.
You must be registered for see images attach

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh yeah> engine is from a 1992 Hino FB model, turbo diesel but not intercooled. i'm not sure on the HP rating 120-130 range I think. around 4.0 litre I started at Hino dealer in 2003, wasn't many of these old ones still coming into the dealer then.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That could be a cool build, but I don't enjoy picking up someone else's half finished project. In my experience they generally do all the easy stuff and each time they hit a roadblock they move to something else. I always end up with projects that are a never ending series of dead ends due to bad planning.
Good luck.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've been tryign to sell the bed off this truck for a few weeks. rust free put nasty paint for sure. sold it for a good price! more than i paid for the truck. have to deliver it next weekend but its onyl about 10 min from my work so it will be great! need to pull the GPs now and fill the cylinder with soem kind of oil, need to turn freely by hand before i trystarting it. will be workign on this weekend, will keep posted of developemnts.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was at my dad's farm today selling off my parts ranger and had a good look at my 84 shorty bed , there aren't much left for wheel arches . but I forgot about a pair of 80-86 dually fenders I saved a few years ago. . I have a brainchild now of build it into a diesel shorty dually. it will be unique with a Hino 4cyl but a shorty dually would really make it odd.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sold the bed off the truck end of the summer. Got this truck running today. it was very close to being done and running. check valve in lift pump was stuck and it would not draw fuel. I just took the pump apart and lubed everything up with ATF and it worked fine after reassembly. pumped it up , bled out all the air and away she went. runs good on fresh fuel out of a 5gallon can. I am going to get it mobile and run it around the farm for a while and make sure there are not any problems with it.

. my end plan for this engine/trans is in my 86 E150 shorty van. it is going to be a camper for me and the Mrs will be very unique with a 4cylinder diesel and 5spd manual.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01