1984 Mercedes 190D.. Parts? Cost to own? Anyone have experience with?

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So even though the last thing I need is more vehicles, came accross a clean 1984 190D, 5 speed manual, interior good exterior good, runs, needs some window glass.

Wondering if anyone has owned one; how hard are parts to find? Cost of ownership vs common sedan? I am looking on rockauto and the parts seem really affordable.

Just wondering if anyone has any input or experiences to share. Thanks in advance!

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
Personally I haven't dealt with the smaller displacement engines, but I have an '83 300SD turbo, and I love it. Some of the more hard things, that are MB specific can be a bit pricey, (i.e. cruise control amplifier.. $200 remaned) ... that sort of stuff; but brakes, and other stuff isn't bad at all as you said.
If I had to weigh it in, I would actually say cost of ownership is cheaper than a regular sedan. But one thing I haven't had to experience yet, because I try to be proactive with my car, is stay on top of your maintenance. It is like these cars KNOW when you are 2 miles overdue for an oil change, or an oil filter, or you have a micrometer of play in some bushing. Do all fluids at recommended intervals, and you will absolutely love this car. And the fuel mileage is pretty good too!
A couple places to check out http://benzworld.org ... and peachparts.com both great assets for info with these cars. (And peach is very competitive with prices.. even cheaper than ebay)

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on thanks for responses guys.

Just saw the ad and got really intrigued, figured it might be a cool thing to have just to get around town/to work in to save miles on the truck now that the gf is driving my maxima.

I dont think I would care about the fact that its slow, but It probably would irritate me after a while, who knows. Will have to keep an eye out for the newer ones with the 2.5, unless this guy lowers the price some more. Doubt it though; only asking a grand.

royzell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any body parts from the 230E are the same. There are lots of those around for parts. The one you're looking at is a 5 speed. I've had lots of old Benz's and if I had to pick a common weak point it is the automatic transmission. Yes the 2.5 will have more power, but for a grand and great fuel mileage, so what. If you find a 2.5 you like later sell this one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online