1972 Dodge W200 Crew Cab + 1990 W250 Diesel + 1991.0 D250 Diesel

PapeCAT

Reaction score
Greetings

I am a long time diesel nut, my first was a 1985 MBZ 300D, then 1989 Dodge D250 Cummins, then 1993 Cummins, with finally the 1972 Crew Conversion. I've been active on TDR/DTR and other sites as well under the same handle. The guys wanted to see my brownie and build thread on my truck so here it is.

The truck started out as a 1972 Dodge W200 Crew Cab Short Bed Adventurer. It had a 360/727 (2wd) to Divorced NP205 to 3sp Brownie with D60 Rear and D70( yes a 70) closed knuckle front axle. Project Kicked off fall of 2008. crashnzuk and I stopped to see the truck but didn't end up taking it home. After a while I decided to snatch it up. Here is a pic:

You must be registered for see images attach

It had about 3 layers of carpet on the floor with the stock rubber mat on the bottom. After that was removed, some rot was discovered on the floor, but other than that it was virtually cancer free.

I ditched the D70F/D60 combo in favor of the axles that came under my 1st donor truck, the 1990 Dodge w250 diesel 5sp pictured here:

The original plan was to swap the entire 5sp drivetrain over as well but the project hit a standstill because of work travel and my lack of metal fab skills. I ended up selling the cummins/getrag/np205/gearvendor that was in the 1990 and parting the rest out, finally posting the carcass on craigslist for 'free' and a couple a Ruskies came and drug it away in a matter of hours.

So the project sat until mid Aug 2009 and I had since aquired a nice 1993 Dodge (in sig) which was taking up a lot of my wrenching time.

Months of posting the crew project for sale yielded no interest, so I finally got the gumption enough to continue the crew project with new inspiration. My original plan with the 4:10 axles was to have 'triple OD' which would be Getrag in 5th, Gear Vendor in OD, and Brownie in OD. That would be plenty to give the truck more than enough splits and tall legs on the hiway as well.

Well since I no longer had the drivetrain with all the OD, I had to think up a different approach. The answer was a 900 dollar 2x4 D250 donor truck I found in Paso Robles that had a lien title from an estate sale. Since I didn't need to mess with Rego, it was the perfect match. This truck has the non I/C cummins 5.9 with a non Od 2x4 727 Auto trans - the same trans the 1972 W200 came with from the factory. Turns out the trans mounted up perfectly, and I retained all the stock crossmembers and original Shift mounts for both the divorced NP205 and Brownie! This was going to be a quick swap I thought.... But it wasn't without a few hiccups. I almost lost the whole rig when I noticed my receiver hitch was cracking near the frame mounts!! I ended up stopping at a gas station on I-5 and took the hitch off the D250 and mounted it on the W250 and continued down the road!!

Here is a pic of the 1993 towing the 1991.0 Donor truck + a couple carnage pics:

I tried mounting the truck backwards on the trailer after the hitch swap but the sway was so bad I had to switch it back around again. Turns out the replacement hitch had a higher tongue weight rating. The pintle hitch stuck out too far though and I think added leverage to the hitch as well.

So With no OD now, the only OD was going to be from the brownie itself, which wasn't going to be enough for the 4:10 gears and the cummins to get up to any decent speed on the freeway. So upon investigating options I found that the stock aluminum kidney hole Mags that came with 1972 Crew were 16.5 and would fit the HMMWV 37" Good Year Wrangler Military tires... That in combination with my OD would be satisfactory to get up to hiway speed I thought:

And as you can see, by this point, the Engine/Trans is out of the crew and the front clip is off. I ended up having to replace both the engine and front crossmember/spring mounts on the 1972 with ones from a 1993 Ramcharger. I think any from 1974 and up would've worked. The 1972/73 had a weird shallow 3 piece engine mount that wouldn't clear the deep cummins oil pan. (I found out the hard way on this when I tried to put the original cummins in the truck last February)

Along with the xmember swap, I added a leaf to the already beefy front spring packs that were military wrap... and away we went...

Last edited:

PapeCAT

Reaction score
Pg 2.

Now next was the arduous process of getting it all together. Everything was already installed behind the trans already, the axles had been swapped and a custom rear driveline made with the 1410 yokes to match up with the 1990 D70.

Ugly underneath I know but the goal was to get it on the road rather than become a garage queen for the next couple years.

Here is a pic of the brownie install. It is pretty beefy. It had a nice mount fabbed up, with rubber isolators and the brownie had 1410 yokes in n out.

I cringe at these pics. It is so gross under there. Here is another angle

Here is a pic of the rust and the brownie shifter.

PapeCAT

Reaction score
Pg 3.

So the next step was getting the engine repaired. The IP needed to be resealed, KDP tabbed, Piston LP installed, Valve cover gaskets etcetcetc... So many little details that I had to tend to but all in all came together from notes I had in my head and a list that had to be taken care of to make it reliable and road worthy.

In the end I was left with this:

BHAF, 2.5 in custom crossover, 14cm exhaust housing/54 cm cold side for the turbo... Pyro/Boost/Temp/Oil Pressure gauges installed. The factory gauges were a little finicky but the factory oil / speedo / Ammeter all work fine. All gauge lights work, everything was rewired and rigged up correctly including the cruise control. Everything is tuned and set up properly including kick down cable adjustment, ve is tuned with lite mods etc...

Had to trim the fenders a bit. I took a cue from another member's truck on the big tires no lift idea. The front is slightly higher than the rear at this point unfortunately. I have no block in the rear springs at this time. With a 3" block the driveline was at 17 degrees and the noise / vibe was insane on the freeway. The way it is now is silent. I do have a slight wobble on hard acceleration between the trans output and np205 input. The shaft has been upgraded to 1410 yokes all around but I believe it is too short and steep and the yokes are possibly not parallel +- 1degree. This is something I need to look into adjusting if possible.

so the truck is done. I've put a few tanks of fuel through it so far and I love driving it. I can get up to 75 MPH (according to the garmin) and it just is so fun to look at the faces of disgust and fear people make. I can tell that fear strikes the hearts of lesser men when they see/hear this truck on the road. Oh yeah, it has a straight pipe exhaust as well. It doesn't go above 1100 Degrees Pre Turbo floored at 70 mph all the way up any big hill around here!

NExt up is getting it ready for a road trip to death valley with my buddy and his Cherokee. I also have another donor truck, a 1976 Dodge D100 Adventurer with 65K original miles that will be a sheetmetal / bed donor down the road. It'll make the brute much nicer and my plan is to keep it all white in the end.

If anyone has any questions or wants more pics of the brownie and what not let me know. One thing about the brownie is I never put it in underdrive. And of course since it exists behind the transfercase it has to be in direct when engaging 4x4.

big jake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey PapeCAT:

FYI

there is a 2wd Dodge crewcab of about 1990 vintage out in North Highlands I see whenever I head over to visit Mom.

Its on Elkhorn Blvd (on the north side) between Watt Ave and Larchmont DR.

Its past the shopping center, the Jimboys and the fire station, but on the same side of the street. its been for sale for quite a while, I think it says $1500on the window, but I bet it would go cheaper.

And its also all white

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I get this question all the time since I have a brownie in mine, but you'll have the answer: with an automatic in front of the thing, is is possible to shift the thing on the fly, or does it have to be range selected before you get moving?
I've always assumed it would need to be range selected at a stop behind a slushbox, but anything is possible.

PapeCAT

Reaction score
I can upshift from Direct to OD on the fly, I just pop the trans into Neutral, shift the brownie, and then pop it back in D. I grind it trying to get it in Direct from OD but I'm sure it could be done if you raised the RPM in Drive on the slushbox and N on the brownie before shifting just to sync up the input/output of the thing.

Not sure if it was intended to be shifted on the fly like that but honestly I just leave it in OD for most everything except 4x4. The shifter is a PIA to move as well. Really short notchy throws.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I can upshift from Direct to OD on the fly, I just pop the trans into Neutral, shift the brownie, and then pop it back in D. I grind it trying to get it in Direct from OD but I'm sure it could be done if you raised the RPM in Drive on the slushbox and N on the brownie before shifting just to sync up the input/output of the thing.

Not sure if it was intended to be shifted on the fly like that but honestly I just leave it in OD for most everything except 4x4. The shifter is a PIA to move as well. Really short notchy throws.

Great to know;Sweet
If you ever tear into that thing you'll find out why the shifter is so tight, the spring behind the lock ball in the shift rod is incredibly tight. THey didn't want those things vibrating out of gear on bumpy roads in a big truck. The synthetic oil helps some. I put regular 20wt tractor hydraulic tranny fluid in mine when I first put it together, then drained that and put synthetic 30wt ATF in it and that sure made a difference. I plan on going to a 50wt synthetic ATF here soon when cash allows

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cool project!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'm on a steep learning curve now that I own the '92.
In hindsight, I wished I didn't get rid of the reg cab rollover so quickly. little did I know I was going to fall into another so quick though.

PapeCAT

Reaction score
Update: The 727 auto is out and sold already and the G360 5speed is in. Since the 5speed is a few inches longer than the 727, I'll need to have a new 1st driveshaft made to go between the trans output and divorced np205 transfer case. I'm planning on keeping the brownie for now, to see how well double OD runs out with 4:10's and 37" tires...

PapeCAT

Reaction score
Update + brownie identification question?

After putting the 5 speed in the truck, the transfer case had to move back 3" otherwise the angle on the short 9 - 3/4" yoke shaft I had made was too much.. = major vibes... So now I have ALL 1410 yokes in the driveline, except for the front axle shaft which will be a lengthened double cardan/CV shaft from the 1990 W250 to go along with the 1990 Axle as well (the yoke/axle tubes are clocked straight towards the transfer case so the CV shaft will work perfect)

I put the 9" shaft between the relocated transfer case and am using the 12" shaft between the transmission and transfer case. All yokes are parallel from trans - transfer - brownie - rear axle. You wouldn't believe how smooth it drives now. It was a lot of work and measuring and a little bit of luck thrown in... I was going to have to deal with a couple degrees of shimming for the rear axle but for grins decided to stick my calipers on the extra 3" blocks I had from the 1990 and what do you know... TAPERED blocks! And they lined up the axle perfectly!!

Here are some pics.

I can't see any manufacturer markings on the brownie, anyone have any idea what unit this is? All I see is the numbers stamped in the side of the case...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Do you see a manufacturers name anywhere on that brownie? It doesn't appear to be a Spicer box. The top housing is different and has the wrong number of bolts.
What are the numbers that you can find on the thing? How many gears does it have?

PapeCAT

Reaction score
No manufacturer's name but the oil fill port has a "TB" or some symbol that resembles that on it.

The only numbers ANYWHERE on the thing are shown on the bottom pic, stamped in the side of the case, C30-16-118-8

Also it has three speeds, UD-Direct-OD.

The UD is a standard UD, not super low but about the same ratio that the OD is ~.75

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
No manufacturer's name but the oil fill port has a "TB" or some symbol that resembles that on it.

The only numbers ANYWHERE on the thing are shown on the bottom pic, stamped in the side of the case, C30-16-118-8

Also it has three speeds, UD-Direct-OD.

The UD is a standard UD, not super low but about the same ratio that the OD is ~.75

Any chance that TB looking thing is a 'TRT'? If so, that would make it a Mack Triplex box

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88