1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

14in sae 2 clutch torque rating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daniel McCurdy, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Daniel McCurdy

Daniel McCurdy Registered User

Does weight effect how much torque these clutch can handle. I found one rated at 1400 torque but I imagine that's at 60k lbs. In a 8000 pickup would that clutch be able to handle more torque like between 1800-2000 lbs

2. Daniel McCurdy

Anybody

3. u2slow

u2slow bilge rat

Here's my thinking:

Torque is rotational force. To realize the full effect, the object acted on needs to resist, push back, absorb etc.

If at 600#ft you blow a ujoint or axle shaft... or the tires just start peeling out, you can't really build much torque to throw down. Nothing to 'push' against.

That's where the weight comes in. If that load prevents you from losing traction (and you don't break things) now you can build torque.

IMO, the clutch rating is the rating. It doesn't change based on the weight of the rig.

4. Daniel McCurdy

Thanks that's also what I was thinking. Will be putting a cummins to a rto6610 in a 93 ford. So the max torque the engine can make is 1400ft lbs as that's the highest rated 14in clutch I could find.