12V71 redeeming values?

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other then the sound, does a 12V71 have any redeeming values. I imagine it sucks fuel and doesn't have a ton of torque down low typical of most 2 stroke DD's. Found a older KW with one and a 15 speed. I only wish I had the money and space to restore an old truck.

Last edited:

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
Well, yes: if given the correct (SAE40W Delo) oil & clean fuel, it will run 1,000,000+ miles. It will pull a train off its tracks after a good DD mechanic gets through with it. I've seen what an 8V71 is capable of...the same tweaks to a 12 are a little scary (think: sailing past S-60 and ISX-powered trucks on hills).

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those things must be awsome! I was watching TV late one night on one of those channels with cars and trucks on it and they had a truck pull where they pulled with big rigs and a cabover KW won the thing with one of those engines! It was awsometo see one belch black smoke. Tim

Ak HDM

Reaction score
12v's used to be in a lot of trucks up here in the 70's, but the 92's lighter weight & more hp took over as far as the detroit powered trucks. the cats & cummins would get better fuel mileage & last longer between overhauls. Detroits are easy to get more hp out of but they don't live real long.
A contruction co. here has a fleet of Euclid B-70 off hiway belly dumps that were 12v71 powered, but they put 3406E cats in. the cat powered B-70's are a lot quieter, use less fuel, live longer,& will out pull the detroits
I haven't seen any old 12v powered trucks around here in about 10 years.
One redeeming factor factor that I can think of, is that I made alot of money working on 'em :D :D

Last edited:

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
6MPG in a 70's GMC general sleeper-cab grossing 80-85K.

And you gotta love a truck shooting flames 4' out of the stacks. :)

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Maniac...I think I know the truck that you show the motor from? It was at Auburn this past summer for ATHS show. He drag races it alot at local track for him(can't remember details but east coast).

As for 12v truck you're looking at....seems I saw one on trucktrader? Faded blue/white out west(Wash. state?). Get two for one price? $5K? Would make a neat toy.......and I'd love to have one.

Now, if you want one that you don't have to fix up....there's on in Oregon that is '74, blue, 12v and I WANT IT BAD!!!!! LOL ! The only problem ..............ah...er...well...how about $38K :eek:
Oh well, guess I'll just keep the ol B. I can afford to put fuel in it.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Jarlaxle said:
6MPG in a 70's GMC general sleeper-cab grossing 80-85K.

And you gotta love a truck shooting flames 4' out of the stacks. :)

Hmm, does better on fuel than a C-15 ACERT, with 2x the cylinders, plus 4x cool factor, for sound, and special effects. :rotflmao

I neeeeed one of them.

For what I don't know.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Maniac......oops. Guess not LOL
Just as cool though. Two guys at Auburn had mid 70's long hood KW's with buz'n doz'ns in them. Really nice rigs!

RustyJC

Reaction score
A 2-cycle Detroit diesel - the most efficient device ever invented by man to convert #2 diesel into noise and smoke! LOL

Rusty

maniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 2-cycle Detroit diesel - the most efficient device ever invented by man to convert #2 diesel into noise and smoke!

And don't forget the parking lot tattoo's LOL

As far as better MPG than an inline Cat.........No way

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
PackRat said:
Hmm, does better on fuel than a C-15 ACERT, with 2x the cylinders, plus 4x cool factor, for sound, and special effects. :rotflmao

I neeeeed one of them.

For what I don't know.

The 6MPG was an 8V71 cranked to way beyond the factory-recommended fuel settings. :) Something like 2600RPM & 500+HP, as I recall.

Gary79F250

The Bawston Whalah
Reaction score
First, make that second post
I will say that detroit's will be the hardest engine that you can work on.
thats just for S&G
the 2 strokers are a wonderful powerplant that will run very well and leak a s**t load of oil.
don't get me wrong DD makes a great engine

nothing liike a screamin jimmy