12v Swap into 1990 CC F350

zaroot

Reaction score
I have a 1990 crew cab F350 srw 7.3 IDI. Truck has a ZF5, 60kp front, new tires, and a brand new CM steel flatbed. Coming from a 97 12v dodge 5 speed and an 05 24v 6 speed, this 7.3 is a tired old dog.

I am picking up a 1990 Ram W250 parts truck this weekend. 12v VE, getrag 360, np205, d60/70 axles. Question being, what trans/tcase option would you recommend and why? Plans for truck is a work horse and crawler hauler, most likely under 12k lbs loaded up.

1) Adapter (destroked, diesel conversion, wild horse) with ZF5 and factory BW 1356 case.

2) Adapter with ZF5 and 31 spline input Drivers drop Ford np205 tcase.

3) No Adapter, run the Getrag and swap 29 spline input from dodge np205 into a drivers drop Ford np205

4) No Adapter, Getrag with a 29 spline input np241.

Would like to consider an NV4500 but they’re just so expensive, and typically need rebuilt if they’re already pulled. Plans for 12v include hx35, intercooler, gov. springs, a fuel pin, gasket kit, kdp tab, and some head port matching. Going for around 350hp/650tq and 20+ mpg.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with the zf5 and 1356. Just got done with basically the same job in my brothers truck and that's what we went with and it turned out great.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

zaroot

Reaction score
I wasn’t a fan of the 5600 in my 2005. Also weary in the quality of the rebuild hard parts available for the NV’s. I would much prefer a cast iron case, but if I’m spending 5600 money and want a 6 speed, I’m going g56. Benefits of a zf5 are pretty common to find in junkyards, and although only rated at 425ftlbs, many guys are pushing 550-600.

I would rather have a gear driven cast iron t case, which really decides on my trans. Really don’t like slip Yoke housings on trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zf5 is a very well built tranny. I have a customer that is running one behind a 7.3 powerstroke that ran 550 hp to the wheels and is still holding up after almost 100k miles since the build.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are doing exactly what I am planning on doing. Please keep us informed of the progress. Have you talked with the guys at Power Driven Diesel. Their stuff for the 12V looks freaking awesome which is part of the reason I want to do this as well. I really need a Crew Cab as I swear Ford never intended for human beings to be in the back seat of a super cab. They are nice to put your stuff in and get filled up with random crap you don't want to get wet but outside of that I haven't found much use in mine, especially after the latch on the driver's side seat broke and won't lean forward anymore.

Hagan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '89 F350 with an '89 12v Cummins. I have a zf5 with the stock bw1356 tcase. Personally I'd just run the 1356 It's a pretty strong tcase and only has minor issues. Not to mention your truck is already setup for it and it's a pain in the ass to mount a np205 behind a zf5. You have to notch the housing to clear the shift rails or buy an adapter. Also the np205 needs it's own cross member to support its ridiculously heavy weight as its been known to break the zf5 case.

My zf5 is noisy but works great. Only thing I would have maybe done differently is I would have used a zf6 and should have got my a/c to work with my exhaust brake. My swap has been done for 2 years now. Best money I've spent on it.

You can get a fixed yoke f/r bw1356 out of a Bronco. They all came with fixed yokes.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I love the diesel ZF5 ratios. That's the biggest thing I miss from my F350. You have to pony up for a 6-$peed to have anything similar.

Tcase can be changed to a later/stronger nv271... 31-spline in and fixed yoke out. Can be had cheap too.