'12 VW TDIs

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at the new VW TDIs in the Sportwagen model and wanted to know if anybody had any experience or insight into the newer TDIs?? Have found some stuff concerning the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) failure on some, but it seems most are fine. However, the new pump is a $7000 repair and have heard some stories online about VW not covering it and blaming it on "contaminated fuel". Looks like a great car and engine, with 30/42 mpg figures, and most reviews online put it at more like 45-47 mpg highway.

Any and all info appreciated as I'm seriously looking into this new vehicle purchase.

Thanks in advance!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I have heard the same thing about the new Common rail TDI's...but I dont think it happens to the vast majority of them.

If I could affoard one, we would have one.

Hopefully VW is bringing the VW Alltrack to the US, which is the same setup as the sportwagon except lifted a little and AWD.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
A buddy got one and got the extra warranty covers everything but tires and brakes. He said the car and all would pay for it's self in 19 months of fuel savings....

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We love our little Sportwagen. Been running 5% bio from day one. 24k and no HPFP issues. The bio helps lubricate the pump. These little engines are torqy at low gears.

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 12 just rolled 25k miles. I get average 38 mpg driving city and highway. highway with the cruise set at 70 mph i get 41 mpg. and 80 mph i get about 38 mpg. i am not sure how everyone is getting these 45-47 highway figures when the only time i get close to that is at 45-50 mph on flat roads and there im getting at most 44-45. either something is wrong with my car or people are going off of the cars econ which is always wrong by at least 3 mpg and most i have seen is 8 on my car. i am not sure if vw does this to make people think they get better than actual or its a design flaw in the way the mpg is measured by the car. regardless measuring mpgs the old school way with trip od and calculator i get consistent numbers to what ive posted above. any info advise is appreciated.

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
daily driving we get lower 40s on our 12 with the DSG.. road trips we stay pretty steady in the 45 area, switching to michelin tires seemed to improve the milage a good bit (and the tire life) 42k miles without any problems yet!

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, we ended up buying one. So far 37K and enjoying every mile. Summertime highway mpg averages around 50 mpg depending on driving habits and speed. Wintertime average is more like low 40s and the overall average we see is about 44-45 mpgs with pretty good power. We have the 6-speed manual. Using a Stanadyne fuel additive year-round as well.