12 valve random questions

Fader

Reaction score
Hello all... I have had a several chevy & ford idi diesels over the last few years.

I recently snagged a 6bt swapped truck.. it's a '82 Chevy c30 crew cab dually.
It currently has an nv4500 & still has the factory 410s in the Dana 70.

The engine came from a 1993 diesel pusher RV but it does have a P-Pump.

The RV supposedly had ridiculously low mileage (21k) & I can tell externally that it's much lower mileage than all fo the others that I looked at buying...

I have a number of questions... where to begin?
(I apologize in advance...feel free to skip any)

#1- the truck is parked on an incline right now... after sitting for several days I notice that oil is leaking out of the 4" exhaust at two different joints. Not a ton but more than I would have thought. Should this be a concern?

#2- i believe that the engine hasn't been modified... what should I look for to tell?
The cover behind the pump with the tamper resistant screw is there & doesn't appear to have been touched. (1 flathead, 1 tamper, 2 hex)
I would like to know before beginning any mods myself.

#3- what is my best bet for an air filter? Right now it has a crappy k&N style filter elbowed right off of the turbo (which sits lower being an industrial engine).
Is cold air intake important?

#4- speaking of air... the seller included a intercooler off of a 24 valve truck... I'm not sure if I will have room for that while retaining AC in my 82 chevy?
Any suggestions are appreciated...

#5- the engine sits close to the radiator so I am limited to slim electric fans... It came with a set but the controller is toast.
Any suggestions on a controller? I'd love to have a manual override switch & light inside to see when they are running &/Or turn them on myself if necessary.

#6- I suppose this one is dependent on if its actually 100% stock... the truck does leave a decent haze behind when I take off or get on it.
Nothing crazy & I'm not bothered by it...just curious if this is normal on a stock truck?

#7- I am having trouble with both pump & turbo identification... (maybe because it's from a rv?)
The engine tag is also MIA...

The last line on the p-pump reads...
PES 6P 110 A 120 RS 7213

The turbo states that it is a Holset type 'VH1C' which doesn't show much on google. .

Thanks in advance for any responses & advice... very excited to tie up all of the losses ends & begin making improvements to this old girl.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
  1. Probably turbo seals, pull the intake tube off and check for play in the turbo shaft and oil in the inlet.
  2. What will it rev to? Likely never been touched.
  3. No air filter is best! If you want good filtration look up the blue 6637.
  4. Ive made the stock 12v intercoolers work on the chevys, not sure on the 24v.
  5. Derale sells some good controllers, or some toggles and relays will work.
  6. That would be normal if your turbo is tired.
  7. You have the standard H1C turbo, if you google that you will find some good info. You have a 908 P7100, very close to a standard 180hp pump.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
1+6) The haze and the oil leaking from the exhaust could be the same problem.

3) I run washable filters with a fleecy filter wrap... inside the stock housing on the fender. (Extra vent holes added.) I think its fine for what I'm doing.

4+5) Adding to the fan thing.... the 91-93 intercooled fan and fan hub is the most compact arrangement used on the Dodges. It may give you the room you need. If you have the wide (diesel & BBC) rad in the Chevy, you will struggle to find an intercooler than can reach around it. I do like how the rad, IC, and condenser, and shroud are packaged on the 2ndgens. I plan to take a stab at blending the whole package into a 1stgen rad support.

Was a body lift added? That can help get the engine further back, giving you more fan room.

4.10's will be an amazing towing machine. You will likely want to upgrade the governor spring. 3.54 will be easier on fuel if you don't haul heavy all the time.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You could look into a water to air intercooler. More mounting options.
Everything else was covered pretty well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Fader

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies... it gives me several things to look at.

Rug_Trucker

Reaction score
I know next to nothing. I do know the injector pump on a '93 should be for a intercooled motor. There is a difference. Not sure 91.5 was when they appeared(?)

If it is a motor home engine it maybe older than the model year of the RV.

I'm here to get my '93 dually back running.