12 Valve out of a School bus the same as truck?

DWK

Reaction score
I have found a low mileage 12 Valve out fo a school bus complete with pump for cheap. I am thinking about picking it up as a spare but before I do I want to make sure there is nothing crazy different that would keep it from working in my truck.
Anyone know if it will bolt in and if the cam, timing fuel is the same?

Thanks in advance

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
That I don't know. I think the blocks are the same but the stuff that bolts to it maybe different, like alt and exhaust manifold for example. you could take the CPL number off the engine and contact your local cummins shop and have them look up the specs on the engine then compare them to a pickup truck specs. The CPL number should tell you everything about the engine.

DWK

Reaction score
I actually put eyes on the mtor today and the pump is a Bosch so it looks to be a 1st generation motor. I dont know how that comares to a second generation. I know the pumps, injectors etc... are different. Can the be interchangerd?
Sorry for all of the questions. I have always owned Powerstrokes with the exception of an 06 Cummins which is completely different.

79gmccrewcab1t

Reaction score
I have one out of a 1990 bus and from all my research heres what I've found about them. They have larger injectors in the non intercooled motor. My pump timing had not been changed. Come stock with 180 horse where the pick ups came mostly 150. the 12 valves with the ve pump that is. their power out put went up after the pump change. The buses come with a 4000 rpm spring in them so of course I'm sure the valve springs are a little stouter too. A intercooler can be added to this engine, the pumps are the same given the 4000 spring up to 91.5. they were just turned up little on the school bus application. the engine blocks were the same but I'm sure there was a head change and stuff like that after the pump change. Depending on how much power you want they do have their advantages.

Last edited: