10 speed eaton fuller or road ranger behind a 7.3 IDI has it been done

88IDImattman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok been layed up with a crushed an broken foot for several months an got the idea o get 10 speeds in a f 350 CC/LB/dually ..i like to rowe gears an think it would be kool plus keep the engine in optimal RPMs all the time an have plenty of gears to work with my truck has a 410 rear ...im guessing a sae#2 bell housing would do the trick a custom cross member trans support a air pump an tank for the flipper to high/low range an maybe a lil mod to the tunnel ..i think that it would never need a new clutch ever again an be able to pull about anything an get great MPGs while doing it ...am i nuts has it been done with an IDI ...i have seen vids with a 10 speed an a cummins 5.9 so it must be possible

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes, very possible. Not as feasible but possible. Probably what I'll do with my 88, unless I part it out. It's just so hard to find a 4x4 zf-5 where they won't need my left ******** for payment.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta find a transmission adaptor from an IH medium duty or bus that had an IDI. If you have a scrap yard with medium duty rigs, try and snag the flywheel and clutch hydraulics while you're there.

SAE #2 is what was used on the IDI in medium duties. Tons and tons of transmission options available to you at that point. The fact that you are 2x4 saves you the headache of fabbing up a divorced T-case.

Of course some drive shaft work would have to be done, but that would be a cool modification to that F350 man.

Heath

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
10 speed...? Ugh! It might not be too bad in a pickup truck, but IIRC the older smaller 10 speeds were direct drive only....no OD.

Get your hands on a smaller older 13 speed OD....RTO 6613. You get a better spread between the gears, and you have the option of OD. It's a single countershaft box too.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are RTO 6610's too and if you can't find an RTO you can buy a kit form Fuller to make an RT 6610 into an RTO 6610.;Sweet

Heath

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I didn't know that. I thought the only 10 speed od's were the new super 10 pro-shifts. Learn something new every day.

Now that I think about it, isn't there a mod you can do in the back where you reverse the two gears to make it OD?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^holy cow my left leg would fall off! but i bet you could pull ANY load with that thing :D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
10 gears.... who needs a measly 10 gears .... when you can have 15 :D Just leave a 5 speed up front and pop a 3 speed brownie in the back... like I did ;Sweet

Makes it a lot more drivable around town, the deep reduction range is INSANE when towing heavy in tight steep places, then the split gears are perfect for having just what you need, when you need it climbing mountains, you save a ton of fuel when doing a lot of mountain running heavy

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I'd like better this setup in a truck :D
......screamin demon included :sly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU3gZGUInd4

Yep, that's music right there. It may be the same brownie box that Robert has as well. Keep an eye on the tachometer, it only ever drops 500 rpm's between shifts. That keeps the engine in its peak efficiency range, a benefit whether its a big KW or an IDI pickup like we drive.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's awesome. but i'd get so confused lol

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10 gears.... who needs a measly 10 gears .... when you can have 15 :D Just leave a 5 speed up front and pop a 3 speed brownie in the back... like I did ;Sweet

Makes it a lot more drivable around town, the deep reduction range is INSANE when towing heavy in tight steep places, then the split gears are perfect for having just what you need, when you need it climbing mountains, you save a ton of fuel when doing a lot of mountain running heavy

people keep mentioning these brownie boxes, can you give me some more insight? how much do they go for? is it same style as a divorced transfer case?