1.7 rockets on 302?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to put 1.7 ratio rockers on my 302 while everything is off the top, it's a 1987 bronco 5.0 with efi. Heard it help and a little on power and wholes it apart figured why not? What all do I need to put them on plan on putting new push rods too since they can just be dropped in there. Do I need rocker studs? This is just a toy/side truck but I like to play with stuff lol it's also getting shorty headers and full exhaust. Not looking for huge numbers just a bump in power it was my i first truck 10 years ago and in finally giving it some attention now, my 7.3 has taken most the attention lately lol

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. You need to find out what you have in there first, a good amount of sbf had 1.6 rockers from factory but not all did. If you have 1.6 already you won’t /have/ to upgrade to studs, but I’d recommend it anyways. But you’re really not going to see a bump in power from my experience if you have 1.6 already, the amount of valve lift is not the restriction on those heads, it’s the duration of the cam and the physical cylinder flow of the ports. You would have better time spent doing some basic gasket matched porting, the exhaust side especially. The higher ratio rockers are also going to add additional stress on all your valve train and possibly run into piston valve clearance issues, depending on the compression ratio of your engine.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bone stock motor though? I'll probably get the studs anyway since it only like 30$ this is only because I'm already replacing valve cover baskets not wanting to get to into it just some small bolt on stuff. Heads are a bolt on thing but it's just a toy/spare truck kinda thing. Loud exhaust no emissions on my area so cats coming out and I got a killer deal on shorties and a stainless exhaust system from junkyard lol longevity speaking if motor blows then I'll build something for it but it's got like 30k on a stock rebuild I think bored over a tad but nothing else was done truck mainly sits around right now

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online