06' 6.0 Oil Cooler

Cmac78

Reaction score
I'm new here. I am having my oil cooler replaced. Looking for help in purchasing a new one. Not wanting the Aftermarket Dorman or anything comparable to factory. I was looking at Dieselsites oil cooler. Any thoughts about Ds, XDPs, aFe etc...

I know this is a question that will have people on both sides of the fence but I'm looking for the oil cooler that is manufactured to be better than OE. Not just a factory replacement.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Imo, flushing and filtration is more important.
I've seen plenty of comparisons. Nowadays they are about all the same.
If you really want a "upgrade," do the cooler relocation kit.
Whichever way you go, do a ipr full flow filter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Add the specs to your truck in your signature, it typically helps if people know what year, miles, etc.

So I have a good friend who's put two OEM oil coolers in just over 100K miles. On the first one, he did the extensive flush and replaced with the proper coolant. He was pretty shocked when his coolant to oil delta started climbing again, so when he did the second one, he went the remote oil to air cooler route.

Good luck whichever way you choose to go.

Cmac78

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.
I did the coolant bypass filter. Guess I need to start looking oil bypas system's.​

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are measuring temperatures as you realized that your cooler was starting to plug up. Do you have a monitor/tuner? Filtering the coolant is a good idea, just know once it starts to plug, there's no "unfouling it".

Cmac78

Reaction score
I'm assuming you are measuring temperatures as you realized that your cooler was starting to plug up. Do you have a monitor/tuner? Filtering the coolant is a good idea, just know once it starts to plug, there's no "unfouling it".

I do not have a tuner or monitor. It's in the shop as we speak. I'm trying to find the best cooler for replacement. I've been fighting Warranty company for almost 3 weeks to get everything covered. They finally gave the OK 2 days ago.

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case, stick with motorcraft. Save for the relocate later.

Agreed.

Also have the shop perform some cooling system flushes prior to replacing the oil cooler. Get the system as clean as you can. Then replace the cooler and flush again until clean.

I know it sounds like overkill. But, this has become my normal process for oil cooler jobs and I have had a much higher success rate.

Cmac78

Reaction score
Well I went with XDP's oil cooler. It is exactly the same design internally as the Ford/Motorcraft upgraded oil cooler. They are flushing system as well.
Thank you. Merry Christmas.
Will update l8r about performance.

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with it. I doubt that it is any better than the OEM, but to each his/her own. The OEM oil cooler issues are SOLELY due to the coolant system plugging and not the reliability of the oil cooler itself. If ANY plate type cooler has too much stress from thermal expansion forces (this happens with significant differences in hot and cold side temperatures), it will fail.

Be sure to watch the split between oil and coolant temps. Several aftermarket oil coolers just don't cool as well despite being advertised as OEM equivalent.

Last edited:

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of those so called better design than oem cooler comes with really sub par parts. The oring that come with them are a copy of the original and they do not use the same quality as oem aND the fit sucks. In other words you'll install run it for awhile then it will start leaking and you'll do it all over again. Ask me how I know. I see guys trying to save a buck with cheap parts, but that's exactly what they are cheap parts. You better off and cheaper in the long run to get oem ford motorcraft oil cooler kit. Comes with everything and make sure you don't have "extra parts" when your done. Replace every o ring in there when you do it.... ask me again how I know.

Honestly the oil cooler with the best delta s I have every seen is with motorcraft only parts. That being said if you keep the egr on the truck you really need to monitor oil and coolant life condition. No matter of filtration will save you on that. And that's why I don't run a coolant filter. I figure coolant has a life expectancy and needs to be replaced. A filter again is not going to save you. Would you run the same oil and just change the filter? Nooo.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got questions let me know done a bunch of these. Even made my own egr delete

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would say, one of the biggest things I've seen about "off brand" oil coolers is the orings.
That's coming from some others that have been around a lot of cooler installs. It's more likely for the orings to fail than the cooler itself.
While one was already installed, I would be curious to see about your egr delete.