bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be aware that the SCT is not very good at reading codes

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:
Turns out the issue was the ipr valve. My dads mechanic replaced it before he had the chance to run the truck with the scan tool. Also learned the ipr valve did initially throw a code, once, which his mechanic failed to tell him. After that it never coded again. My dad said the spring on the valve was very worn out probably causing the valve to either close/remain open once it got hot, truck shut off then cooled off and cycle repeated.(at least that's my theory). My dad says thank you very much in all this, also learned his mechanic has turned into more of a parts replacer instead of a troubleshooter and will likely be looking for a different shop. He just ran the truck for 3.5 solid hours at 65mph for almost 200 miles pulling 20k lbs of hay without difficulty.Thanks again!

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:
Turns out the issue was the ipr valve. My dads mechanic replaced it before he had the chance to run the truck with the scan tool. Also learned the ipr valve did initially throw a code, once, which his mechanic failed to tell him. After that it never coded again. My dad said the spring on the valve was very worn out probably causing the valve to either close/remain open once it got hot, truck shut off then cooled off and cycle repeated.(at least that's my theory). My dad says thank you very much in all this, also learned his mechanic has turned into more of a parts replacer instead of a troubleshooter and will likely be looking for a different shop. He just ran the truck for 3.5 solid hours at 65mph for almost 200 miles pulling 20k lbs of hay without difficulty.Thanks again!

Not a very good parts replacer even at that. For the described issue, it is most commonly the FICM or the IPR. The FICM is easy to diagnose by installing a known good one. The IPR is diagnosed by reading codes or just replacing. A good parts replacer would have replaced the IPR early on, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online