'05 and up superduty axles

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to do some long term planning for my truck and what i want to do with it. I eventually want to swap to '05 or newer superduty axles. That way i can get a better ride, tighter turning radius, disc brakes all the way around with parking brake, and 3.73 gears for a little better rpms on the freeway, but still ok for towing. my question is what prices are you guys seeing for these?

I have done some looking, and on ebay they want 600 for just the front axle, without any suspension or steering linkage. that seems kinda steep, not to mention all the listings i found were back east, and shipping would be killer. The junk yards around me SUCK. all small cars. very few trucks and mostly gm. Any ideas on the best place to pick some up with all the suspension and steering? maybe best to find a wrecked truck and steal it from there?
any good places to find trucks like that?:dunno

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that actually seems like a good price for that axle, i would have to say try to find a wrecked one that still has a good drive train to get the axles and suspension, might still have to pay a pretty penny for it but you would have everything you need, one place to try is see if there are any heavy truck salvage yards around you, allot of times they have f450 box trucks and tow trucks and things like that, allot of people don't think about that so sometime they have plenty of trucks

if i remember right you dont have to have the 05 and newer axles to get the tighter turning radius, i am pretty sure the 99 to 03 super duties also have the tighter turning radius, just need to know that the super duty f250s have a dana 50 front axle and the f350s have the dana 60, although im pretty sure the solid dana 50 will do just fine

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The newer Dana 60's are nice. The f450 and f550 have the super Dana 60. Pretty much a Dana 70 with a Dana 60 ring and pinion.

It's a nice swap, don't get me wrong, but IMHO the coil spring gain isn't worth the hit in reliability. The unit Hubs aren't serviceable and like to go out at the worst time. The hubs are also always engaged, spinning the drive shift ALL the time. The dynatrac free spin kit is like $2500 to fix that.

RSK and nice progressive leafs will be a nice setup too.

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there dana 50 in f250 and dana 60 in f350/f450. but there all metric lug bolt pattern. the free spin hub conversion is well worth it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The newer Dana 60's are nice. The f450 and f550 have the super Dana 60. Pretty much a Dana 70 with a Dana 60 ring and pinion.

It's a nice swap, don't get me wrong, but IMHO the coil spring gain isn't worth the hit in reliability. The unit Hubs aren't serviceable and like to go out at the worst time. The hubs are also always engaged, spinning the drive shift ALL the time. The dynatrac free spin kit is like $2500 to fix that.

RSK and nice progressive leafs will be a nice setup too.

The superduties have lockouts on them just like the older trucks. If the axle is a ESOF axle, the lockouts are vacuum activated, and also have a manual knob on them so you can lock them in all the time. The front driveline IS NOT engaged all the time. The unit hubs are just fine if you stay stock size tires or close. I have ~128k on factory unit hubs that are just fine. The unit hubs are only problematic with larger tires. The Dana 50 monobeam in the F-250/Excursions are a beefy unit. They are no comparison to the old D50 TTB in the pre superduties have.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the info guys, i really do, but i am not really asking for opinions at this point. i know there are a lot of strong feelings about the unit bearing hubs on the newer axles, and i will cross that bridge when i get there.

I was just wondering what prices you guys are seeing around you for a full set of axles with everything? and like i said we have zero good junk yards around me, no truck yards or anything. does anyone know of a good site to get wrecked trucks from, either online or in person?

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The f550 super 60 is a 35 spline outer bad ass axle. Nice bearing vs the 30 spline f250/f350 stuff.

My question is, we're all your super duty unit hubs built on a wednesday? My dad's excursion has 200k on the clock and ate 4 already!

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The f550 super 60 is a 35 spline outer bad ass axle. Nice bearing vs the 30 spline f250/f350 stuff.

My question is, we're all your super duty unit hubs built on a wednesday? My dad's excursion has 200k on the clock and ate 4 already!
My father in law has 130k on his 04 250 with 35" tires and he is still on the factory unit hubs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.