05 5500 fuel system help needed

Discussion in '6.6L Duramax Diesel' started by 94f450sd, Feb 5, 2018.

1. 94f450sd

94f450sd Supporting Member Supporting Member

Ok,I know absolutely nothing about the duramax.

We bought a 5500 car carrier.had a motor put in it at some point,ran once and never again.

I got it cranking over today.itll fire on ether and die,so it's not getting fuel.gauge says 3/4 tank.not sure if it's right or not,I'll try putting 5 gallons in it tomorrow just in case.

It may have wiring problems such as things unplugged or plugged in wrong places.the guy we bought it from has been trying for 3 years to get me to work on it.i didn't want to touch it but have no choice now

If putting fuel in it doesn't work,where do I start?

2. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

Well, far as I know, they never cane with a lift pump. The filter should have a primer button on top, along with a bleed screw.
    But... best thing you can do for a Duramax is throw on a electric lift pump.
    I ran one out of fuel once. After pumping the primer a hundred times, it started right up.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

3. 94f450sd

I couldn't find a primer.i found what I think is the filter on the drivers side.has wires going into the top and bottom of it.looks like a plastic housing.cartridge filter?.

On top of the motor sorta in the middle I found a brass colored fitting with a Schrader valve in it.this to bleed fuel system or hook up a guage?it's a fairly large fitting,looks like something can clip onto it.

I don't know why my buddy sold the CAT to get these things.i really don't care to learn about them,honestly.

4. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

What I could find, the filter should be on the drivers side of the engine.
    It could be a cartridge filter but stock is spin on, and has a bottom spin on plastic piece. The bleeder is a little flat blade screw on the top.
    "Should" look like this. The black screw is the bleeder. The silver thing on the end is the primer. [​IMG]

5. 94f450sd

I did get it running.its gotta have a bad injector somewhere as I can hear a fuel knock and it smokes.

6. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

Pretty typical for the early models with sucky stock filtration and no lift pump. Lol

Thewespaul likes this.