04 duramax overheated, now no start

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was asked by my buddy to take a look at his 04 Duramax.

It will not start after a very sudden overheating. He said he was driving along, pulling a camp trailer and the temp was steady and all of the sudden the temp climbed very quickly to the red and the truck shut down.

He towed the truck home and has not been able to get it started. I went up to look at it and there seems to be no fuel making it to the fuel filter.

There are no trouble codes.

I have not done a compression check yet. It fires on either but it but dies as soon as the either is gone.

No oil in the antifreeze in the oil and no oil in the antifreeze.

Any body have any insight as to what is happening?

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he toasted his engine. When I crank it over it has a pretty good lope like at least one cylinder is bad.

I tried priming the fuel tonight but I could not get the primer to firm up. It always seemed easy to puck down. I opened the bleed screw on top of the housing and got a good flow of fuel squirting out but after I tightened it I could not get the primer to firm up so I wonder if something is wrong there. The filter has not been changed since the truck overheated.

Any thoughts?

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You duramax guys must not work on your trucks at all huh? I can post in the ford 6.9 side and get all sorts of replies but nothing here. I won't waste my time anymore in the duramax forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online