03 6.0 King Ranch won't start.

jka1963918

Reaction score
A year ago had a problem with f-22 fuse blown ( diagnosed on this forum by bismac1 ) turned out to be a bad positive cable end on driver side battery. The drivers side hub bearing went out and truck sat for about a month and wouldn't start. Pulled both batteries and had them load tested, both tested good. Cleaned all battery terminals put it back together, still no start. Took the red small wire on the passenger side off and cleaned it and put back on terminal and it started. Pulled it in the shop and fixed front end, starting the truck several times while it sat. Let a week go by with no starts and now won't start again. Lights on dash come on but doesn't click or anything. Cleaned all ends and got underneath and cleaned connections on starter. Still nothing, but can turn on key and jumped across starter and it started. So I'm getting hot to the switch and it completes circuit to start truck but will start from seat. All fuses are good. At first I thought it might be the transmission safety switch got underneath dash and held up on shifting arm doesn't help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
To verify the safety switch for the shifter, put the truck in neutral. This is the quickest test for that cable being loose.

Also, you said the dash lights come on. Do you mean the "POST" test, or the WTS, and other lights act appropriately? Does the vacuum pump, and fuel pump kick on? Do you hear the injectors chatter when you turn on the key? If everything seems to be "normal" except the no start from the key, I would make sure you have + 12 volts on the signal wire from the cab to the starter.........

jka1963918

Reaction score
bismic1 told me about the yellow-gray striped wire disconnect that you can open and jumper to the solenoid by the passenger battery. He told me about this last time I had a problem and had used it to start truck. I guess I didn't get it snapped tight so I thought AHA that was the problem, snapped it tight but still no start. I started the truck earlier today by jumpering across solenoid but now it won't do anything and very little spark. So I took both batteries out to charge them back overnight. I think I have a short somewhere, when I put in second battery and hook it up I get a spark. Everything powers up when I turn key on like a normal start just no crank.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Have you tried unplugging the fan clutch yet by chance and attempt to start it by the key?

jka1963918

Reaction score
Got home this morning and unplugged fan clutch, got in and fired right up. Killed it and it restarted, shut it off and plugged clutch back up and it still started up. It has started every time after that. I wish I would have tried it before I unplugged it so it would take some doubt out of my mind about what's going on. I'm afraid to let my wife drive off anywhere. I have to drive 60 miles to work so I drive my little cavalier but she is at home with grand kids and a Honda van that the transmission is about to go out so I need to get my truck dependable for her. My cousin is a heavy equipment mechanic and is coming over to the house when I get off in the morning and is bringing his meter so we can narrow it down, I hope. I still am thinking starter switch or the wire going from switch to starter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online