01' 2500hd project

Doctor100k

Reaction score
Hey guys, Just registered to the forums =) I have a 01' 2500HD truck that was originally the 3/4 ton single wheel rear that I converted to a 1 ton dually. The bed is a custom made flat bed. I operate a pressure washing outfit here in central Florida. I carry a low profile 500 gal tank along with my pressure cleaning engine, pump, hoses, etc. On RARE occasions do I put the truck on the road with the tank full.

Heres my questions:

**I want to convert it to a manual trans, what work is involved converting? mechanically and electrically.

**What can I do the the engine "externally" to boost performance, including computer mods? Some average and high end mods.

Both mods are for obvious pleasure purposes. I have lots of mechanical experience along with all the necessary tools. Money isnt an issue here but time can be as I need it for work, but I can work around a few days down. Any help or ideas will be great. Thanks Jason

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Converting to a manual is going to be tricky. You'll need a new ZF 6-speed to swap in for starters, plus the clutch, slave and master cylinders, etc. You'll need a new clutch pedal assembly. The trucks PCM will have to be completely retuned so that it won't try to shift the Allison. I don't know if the cross members will need to be adjusted for either. Personally, you'll save a lot more time and money selling the Allison truck and buying one with the ZF than doing the swap. The Allison is a great trannie and I'd stick with that personally. The '01 Maxipad that I used to own had the Allison and I really liked it.

Power is a lot cheaper and easier to make. I had the Edge Juice in my Dmax. It was an easy 5 minute install and made awesome power. Some people get tuners and you can stack them both for more power if you want it. The tuner makes less power but gives you some ability to read codes and such. Nowadays, a lot of folks are going with a custom ECM tune and others are buying the EFI Live program to fine tune the truck to their liking. You also should consider an intake and 4" exhaust. There are also other upgrades such as water/**** injection, injectors, duel CP3s, and so on.

Whichever route you go, you need to install boost and EGT gauges to keep track of things. The Allison is a good trannie and as long as you're not towing can handle the 90hp increase of the Edge Juice without a problem. Towing you'll want to hold it back on the 60hp setting or less. If you're going with a lot of power you'll need to upgrade the torque converter and valve body.

Lastly, the '01-'03 trucks were notorious for injection system failures. You should get a FASS system or another type of secondary filtration system to make sure you don't eat up your injection pump and injectors. Mine were shot at 70k miles on my '01.

Doctor100k

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and all the information. Im thinking about staying with the Allison. Im around the 80k make on my totally stock engine. What do you recommend I do as an upgrade or mod to the fuel injection system? I have heard lots about the failures that are common with my year truck. I havent researched it but can I use HP-Tuners to reprogram the computer and trans? As soon as I send this message I will check on that, but any info you have will be great. Honestly, Im looking for around 350 t 400 hp and about 700 to 800 lbs of torque. Is this something I can achieve and still keep it a daily driver. Keep in mind, fuel economy, extreme longevity or money isnt a concern. Im very familiar with LS series Gm engines, I do the turbo, custom intakes, stand alone ECM tuning all myself. I understand my Dmax is a different ballgame but I feel confident to handle in depth details. Again ,thanks for all the info. Jason

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
In regards to the power...I'd stay away from programmers. They use generic codes that will give power over a wide range of trucks and applications. The EFI Live software can get you the power levels you're looking for but it won't be shift-on-the-fly so to speak. The Edge Juice with Attitude monitor works well and can get up there in power levels. I was very impressed with my Dmax and Juice box. If you're towing the Allison doesn't like anything over a 60hp increase before she starts to get cranky. Suncoast Transmissions in Pensacola does a lot of upgrades and can hook you up on building a bulletproof Allison.

For the injection system, from what I've read, the problem is that the filtration system from the factory is less than desirable. Fine particulates are not filtered out of the fuel and they eat up the injectors and IP. I've seen a lot of folks go with an auxiliary filtration system such as a FASS, with good results.