Zmax oil additive

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I put some Zmax in the engine oil of my truck and I couldn't believe what happened. I increased MPG by 2.21 MPG on average. I was getting around 15.75-16 mpg and on the first trip with it in I got 17.75.

Someone explain that to me.

I have used Zmax in my gassers and I have never had a problem with engines. I had a 92 Chevy with 289k miles in it and finally replaced the engine but it still ran great. I was just getting nervous. I tore that engine down and it looked great inside. Not like other engines I have rebuilt.

Zmax, but by a different name was one of the only engine oil additives approved by the FAA for piston engine aircraft. I figure it must be pretty good.

I thought I would share my experiences.

Wondering if anyone else has had any experiences good or bad?

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used ZMax once, but it was on a motorhome I was about to sell, so I don't have any long-term results to report.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I use it every second oil change. Personally I think it's worth the extra $39 for the oil and fuel additive.

After my first treatment, I ripped apart my oil filter and found crap that was stuck in my engine since desert storm!! Black gritty junk, sledge and a critter or two were in the oil rain pan and "filter anlysis bucket" upon further inspection.

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know about yall i use Lucas and have never had any trouble with it ,, and put it in everything i own ,,, i might try zmax on something to just see how it works out

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was doing some more research on Zmax tonight and I see that they were sued by the FTC and Zmax was the one of the only companies that won the lawsuit based on all of their claims. I think that is pretty impresive.

I will continue to use it.

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is supposed to be a lot smaller molecule and is able to soak into the metal and provide better protection and help sluff of the carbon buildup on the cylinder walls and so on. Helps with valves as well.

I have talked to a aviation mechanic that liked it. He said that engines that he worked on that used Zmax (it's called something else in the AV world) were much cleaner inside and generally in better condition.

Thats what really sold me on it. I don't like to use just anything unless I have a fair amount of assurance that it works as advertised.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I've heard good things about a similar product called SeaFoam. Does anyone here have experience with the stuff?

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that often times they are from competitors. The FTC went after a whole bunch of additive companies a while back and most of them lost their cases and were fined and made to remove such claims as increases HP and protects the engines internals.

I have heard good things about Seafoam as a cleaner for fuel systems and engines. I have not tried it yet.

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was doing some more research on Zmax tonight and I see that they were sued by the FTC and Zmax was the one of the only companies that won the lawsuit based on all of their claims. I think that is pretty impresive.

I just read the FTC v. Zmax case stipulated final result and it reads to me like the FTC said it was snake-oil, and Zmax lost - to the tune of 1 million dollars! http://www.ftc.gov/os/caselist/0023256/0023256.shtm is the link from the FTC web site, so it's not bogus. Where did you read that the FTC lost?

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I would not recommend Sea Foam in the oil. There are several others here that have had first hand experience and will agree.

In the fuel system though its fine.

Well yeah, Seafoam being a cleaner isn't designed to be ran in the crankcase long term...if that is what you were getting at. Although, it probably could plug up the oil pickup since it loosens up all the crud inside, worst case scenario in mind.

:dunno

Also, on another note, that article you linked on the lucas oil is extraordinary! Great info.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online