ZF6

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have a chance to pick up a zf6 out of a superduty a buddy has that is determined to do an Allison swap.. Oh well his loss, I wanted to do a zf5 speed swap in both of the 86 F250 idi's I have but now I'm intrigued to try this on the 4x4. Anyone here done one I've heard it's the same bolt pattern as a zf5 from a few guys that work for ford dealerships.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please dont quote me on ANY pf this but As long as its off of a 7.3 it ought to bolt. I seen one thread that a 6.0 bottom bolts line up but the tops are far off. And they are a lot bigger

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm up for a challenge, I've done quite a few 5 speed swaps in bullnose F150's and stuffed a few big blocks in smaller vehicles. it's from a 7.3l powerstroke so it should be pretty straight forward swap.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Please dont quote me on ANY pf this but As long as its off of a 7.3 it ought to bolt.

This part is true. Any transmission from a 6.9 or EITHER of the 7.3's (idi or PSD) will physically bolt up. Bellhousings and bolt patterns are all the same for the three blocks.

I seen one thread that a 6.0 bottom bolts line up but the tops are far off. And they are a lot bigger

That part I'm not sure of, so someone else will have to confirm or deny if a 6.0 has a different BH.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last year i researched putting one behind a 460 and ended up reading a lot of OBS PSD zf6 swaps so im sure into an 85 can be done

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bottom four bolts line up, later 7.3's repositioned the upper two bolt holes, thus you need to make an adapter plate to make that work.

Can't remember which forum but a guy did one and thoroughly covered it in detail in a thread. PSN or what one I don't recall.

Good luck. I've considered this too. Almost had one and the Tcase cause you gotta have the tcase too!

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one will be complete with t-case and everything that goes with the manual trans as an Allison auto is going in its place. If I just need to make an adaptor plate I have a machine shop at work I can make something that will get the job done. Won't be able to get started until spring rolls around, buddy who has the zf6 is getting a custom Allison built and is waiting for warmer weather to do the swap/work out the kinks with his swap. So I have lots of time for more research before the project starts. I have a zf5 from a 460 lined up for the 2wd will most likely get that done then attempt the zf6 in the 4x4

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
psds had a thin spacer plate an same pattern that is on a idi adapter plate. not for shure what issues that will case, my thoughts are

A: you will have to check thickness of flywheel an may have to run a spacer for flywheel, may lead to issues with starter
B: use a psd spacer an fab mount to the top bolt holes of a idi block (psd didnt use an adapter plate to the bolt patern)

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bottom four bolts line up, later 7.3's repositioned the upper two bolt holes, thus you need to make an adapter plate to make that work.

Can't remember which forum but a guy did one and thoroughly covered it in detail in a thread. PSN or what one I don't recall.

Good luck. I've considered this too. Almost had one and the Tcase cause you gotta have the tcase too!
There was a guy on here named jaybee who did a ZF6 swap. It's possible, but it's a lot of work, and IIRC he later said that, while he wasn't unhappy with it, it wasn't really worth it compared to a ZF5. While the ZF6's ratios are a bit different, the only thing you're really gaining is a granny gear...which can be handy, but again, is it really worth it?

I couldn't find a thread here or anywhere else that directly described it, but take a look at post #16 in this thread: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?65171-Zf5-zf6-swap/page2

The last posts he wrote, he was trying to sell the truck...based on his signature, looks like he finally sold it, but he hasn't been around since 2008...

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
There was a guy on here named jaybee who did a ZF6 swap. It's possible, but it's a lot of work, and IIRC he later said that, while he wasn't unhappy with it, it wasn't really worth it compared to a ZF5. While the ZF6's ratios are a bit different, the only thing you're really gaining is a granny gear...which can be handy, but again, is it really worth it?

^This

The only real thing you gain is shorter spacing between gears which can help some with towing, and the lower granny gear. ZF6 6th gear is almost exactly the same as 5th gear in a ZF5 so there is no major save there on the big end. Plus when you start getting that in depth and people discuss it for towing purposes, tire size, diff gearing, and engine setup will have more of an effect then the difference between ZF5 and Zf6.

You will get more for your buck for towing if you spend the same money on building a well thought out turbo system vs all the money for the transmission, and from what I have seen the cost is pretty dang high if you can't get the parts for cheap. I think i'd rather have the 5 speed with an aftermarket over-drive if I was going to spend the money but who knows what the future will hold LOL.

But I can understand why someone would want to put one in; it would be pretty cool.

Last edited:

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been reading up on a few guys who have done it and know I will need to use an idi flywheel with mounting holes added for a powerstroke clutch to work properly. I have heard I will just need to remove the spacer from the zf6 to mount up to an idi. Still lots of figuring to do but I have time it will be a few months until it will be available. I'm not paying much for it so unless I find a zf5 dirt cheap with transfercase I will at least attempt the swap. Granny gear would be nice I've needed it hauling bales with my 2wd so if I loose granny gear doing the zf5 in the 2wd having the 4x4 with a granny gear would be handy

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's a lot more work than you'd think - as in custom flywheel and some decent fab work getting it all to fit. Not sure though, I just just remember seeing threads on this before and the general consensus was lots and lots of work for little return.

Personally, I much prefer keeping the ZF5 and adding a gear splitter - my preference is the US Gear/ Doug Nash box. The you effectively get a 9 speed trans. :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like a interesting job but as posted. A gear splitter seems like simpler work and no modifications really needed outside of the driveshaft shortening. With my BTS built E4OD tran and the Gear Vendors behind that I have 8 forward gears to choose from when towing. I run a 3:55 rear end thats not well suited for towing from the stop. A 4:11 gear set would be great or maybe a 3:73 gear set...:sly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online