zf5 vs Turbo

Ross01

Reaction score
Ok, so I've got a 1991 F250 4x4 with the e4od. I just bought it for $600, and knew the transmission wasn't right. It won't shift on it's own without slamming into gear, and I only have 1st and 2nd, and 3rd sometimes but it will barely hold 3rd. No flashing OD. PO said it needed a tcm but I don't know.

Anyways, been looking around and found an ATS wastegated turbo kit that I think I can get for 5-600, and I have also found a 4x4 zf 5 for $500. Problem is, I don't have much cash. Might could get both if i can sell my 4 wheeler. But if I could only buy 1, which one should I get. The zf 5 is out of a psd, so I'd have to source a flywheel and clutch.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've got a 1991 F250 4x4 with the e4od. I just bought it for $600, and knew the transmission wasn't right. It won't shift on it's own without slamming into gear, and I only have 1st and 2nd, and 3rd sometimes but it will barely hold 3rd. No flashing OD. PO said it needed a tcm but I don't know.

Anyways, been looking around and found an ATS wastegated turbo kit that I think I can get for 5-600, and I have also found a 4x4 zf 5 for $500. Problem is, I don't have much cash. Might could get both if i can sell my 4 wheeler. But if I could only buy 1, which one should I get. The zf 5 is out of a psd, so I'd have to source a flywheel and clutch.

You can't use the turbo's power if the tranny won't move the truck. My two cents would be to get the trans. But, you also need to get the correct pedal assembly for the manual trans swap. Don't know about the length of the E4OD, but you may end up needing drive shaft mods or find the correct drive shafts. Make sure you get the shifter and the shift boot as well.

Heath

Ross01

Reaction score
I know the turbo won't help with a bad tranny, but this isn't my daily driver. I just want to know which one is the better deal, tranny for $500 or turbo kit for $500. I've had trouble finding both fairly cheap.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Your asking a tuff question. Lets talk about the trans. We do not have nor do I know what a tcm is. All we have to make the correct shifts in the E4OD trans is a few simple switches. On the drivers side of the injection is a TPS. This switch sends voltage to the CPU (computer that tells the trans what to do and when) and needs to be set for .96 volts and up to 1.2 volts on the center wire. Key on but engine off. This voltage is at the idle settings on a warmed up engine. The next switch is the tach pickup located to the drivers side of the injection pump gear cover. If your tach is not working properly it may be a dirty switch or a broken wire near the switch. The on the tailshaft of the trans is the speedo cable imput. There is a switch that tells the trans what speed your going. All these must work correctly. Checking the tach switch magnetic senser is the easy one. Then checking the TPS voltage is the next. And finally just replacing the speede senser the last item. In the rear end you have an anti lock sender that does nothing for the trans so don't let some parts jockey try to tell you yours is bad and it will cause the trans to act up. Maybe this will fix the trans and you can buy the turbo...:sly:dunno

Ross01

Reaction score
Sorry about the TCM, been around psd's too long. They have pcm's so I was just thinking transmission control module. Guess what I meant was a cpu. Anyway, the tach didn't work when I bought it so I replaced the sensor. He have me a spare cpu and I tried it but still shifts the same. I've got another truck with a known good cpu and I'll try it next. What puzzles me is that I always thought that if there was a problem with a sensor I'd get a flashing OD light, but I'm not.:dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online