ZF5 vs T19 4x4

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Ok so which one do you prefer? I currently run a T-19 in my 85 and I do alot of heavy towing. Grossing 25 - 40k 3 to 4x a day 5 - 6 days a week. Around 170miles round trip between job sites and scrap yards. I am going to update to an iron ceramic 12" puck clutch for a little extra grip and wear resistant for the heavy loads. I know the T-19 has a smaller input shaft than the ZF but its all cast iron and perhaps a little stronger for putting a 205 behind it rather than the 1356/208 and having to make extra mounts to support the 205 weight on the rear of the ZF. Which is actually stronger and more reliable? I know with the ZF you have to go to the SMF conversion, cause I dont think the DMF will hold very well with heavy loads constantly.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you like the way the truck works now, why change it? If you need the O/D, you will want the ZF I would think. I personally would find a trans with the lower first gear no matter which you decide to use or stick with. That high first gear sucks a nut when you aren't towing near as heavy as you do.
Travis..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First off your towing way to heavy a load for your rig. Its not built for that heavy a load. Your brakes will not stop a 40,000 lb load in a panic stop safely. If someone got hurt while hauling a 40,000 lb load your going to get hell for it so.... I feel you should watch creefully whats going on around you. Just because you can "get the load going" down the road does not mean you can safely stop it. I agree with whats posted above about both the 4 sp and 5 sp trans setups. They both have good and bad points.. Wait around and see what other oppinions are posted. This will be interesting to read up on...:sly

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
in general the 4 speed is a stronger transmission and i would prefer that if i did not need the overdrive. they are a simpler cast iron transmission that can go many miles in tough conditions.

the 5 speed is no slouch but i think it is a small step down in strength. the overdrive is great though. they really should have given the 5 speed a lower 1st and reverse ratio in my opinion though. i don't tow that much but find myself dropping the transfer case in low range to help out with a load sometimes.

if i had the option to do it easily i would probably switch a gasser 5 speed and re drill the bell housing to get the better gearing (in my opinion).