ZF5 to C6

alexl

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a bit of an oddball in that i prefer an automatic transmission in a truck to a manual (blasphemy, i know). I have found all sorts of discussions on converting a C6/E40D to the ZF5, but none for the other way around. What all would be required to do this conversion? Obviously the C6 (with Gearvendors OD, prefered), flex plate, TC, send driveshaft to be shortened, some sort of shifter in the cab (maybe just get a new steering column from the junkyard). My assumption is there is a kickdown cable to the injection pump as well. Any of you that have gone the opposite direction have these parts for an automatic that you are looking to sell?

Alex

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Alex, please tell us something about the truck you want to put this in; Year - 4X4 - Model - ect... :)

alexl

Reaction score
sorry, thought i had that in my signature... need to go check. It is a 1987 F250 supercab 2wd with 7.3.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I have some of the gear you need from a former C6 to manual change, including the transmission. PM me.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are going to need to retro fit that VRV valve thing on your throttle at the injection pump. Hopefully someone has that whole setup that you can get. If your transmission is good, you probably can find someone who wants to swap.

alexl

Reaction score
You are going to need to retro fit that VRV valve thing on your throttle at the injection pump. Hopefully someone has that whole setup that you can get. If your transmission is good, you probably can find someone who wants to swap.

I had forgotten about that component.. thanks for reminding me. I have heard that the C6 and ZF5 crossmembers are similar and only require drilling new holes. can anyone confirm or deny?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bottom crossmember is the same. The short upper ones are not. And the holes for the upper ones would be very difficult to drill. If you find someone to swap, you can swap your short upper crossmembers, the short trans harness that plugs in under the brake booster, the driveshaft, etc.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have about all the parts you need also minus the transmission and torque converter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk