ZF5-S47 on IDI

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will an s47 fit? I know the S-42 works (stock 87-94 ZF5) and I know the s47 has the same basic dimensions and mountings but I also saw something that says they're not quite interchangeable.

I'm asking because my new parts truck has what I'm pretty sure is a rebuilt s47 I'm thinking of putting in my truck in place of the s42. Mine works well but it's of unknown vintage and I know it occasionally has problem shifting into reverse so something certainly worn in there.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
~John

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's on the id tag too, I just wasn't able to get a good look at when I looked at it originally. The case also looked different.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it certainly bolts up, cause I've got one sitting in my yard! What I'm not sure about is the pilot shaft and bearing. I saw something that seemed to say that the pilot bearings are different between the 2.....

Now, given a choice which would you run? The 47 is heavier duty but also a slightly wider ratio. 5.08-0.77 vx 4.14-0.77. The lower 1st & reverse wouldn't hurt, but I already wish i had a closer ratio with the s42. Now if I can get the us gear working then that would help. Just got to do some fab work and a lathe.... :)

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I put my truck together with an IDI factory DMF with a pilot bearing installed for an S5-42. The input shaft of the S5-47 slid right in.

If you will be using your truck as a TRUCK (hauling, tight spaces, heavy loads) then I would go with the 47. I have had my truck places in 4 low in first gear that I wouldn't wanna take my dump truck with a 13 speed in granny low with 4.89 rearends.

I had it LOADED full of logs, coming out of a 4 wheeler path in first, low range and it couldn't be happier. JUST the right speed. SLOW! I would go with the 47 if I could afford it and knew where to get one. I am glad I got mine!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do use it as a truck.

How's the gear split on the 47? I already dislike the split between gears on the 42, and the 47 would be a bit wider ratio. The split between 2/3 & 3/4 is just too much for me, I'm going from 27-3000 rpm to ~1800-2000 rpm and the truck doesn't pull well below about 22-2300.

I also noticed that the truck it's in now has some pretty awful rollover noise. Neither of my 42 trucks has even been bad but this one does have it. It's got a single mass flywheel but I'm not sure if it's a 7.3 setup, maybe they just stuck it on there with a t-19 flywheel??

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing a zf swap in my 250, trading a 60 for the whole setup. I think I might just stick with the tried and true 4 speed, the zfs scare me! Lol

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do use it as a truck.

How's the gear split on the 47? I already dislike the split between gears on the 42, and the 47 would be a bit wider ratio. The split between 2/3 & 3/4 is just too much for me, I'm going from 27-3000 rpm to ~1800-2000 rpm and the truck doesn't pull well below about 22-2300.

I also noticed that the truck it's in now has some pretty awful rollover noise. Neither of my 42 trucks has even been bad but this one does have it. It's got a single mass flywheel but I'm not sure if it's a 7.3 setup, maybe they just stuck it on there with a t-19 flywheel??

Told ya ship it to me...I'll be very happy with the split in a Bronco that tows a tent trailer or small boat or Argo or so forth..*****

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this thread looking for something else - the final verdict is that the S47 works fine on the idi. No rollover noise or any other issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online