Zerex G-05

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is zerex G-05 okay to use in 7.3? I searched forum but couldn't find anything, back says okay for heavy duty applications in navistar and ford, do I need to add the sca to this stuff? It's red in color and is supposed to be a good brand coolant for diesels, some mentioned adding a coolent filter and that they come pre charged with them? Are they expensive? Easy to instal?

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't help on the coolant, I'm sorry. I can on the coolant filter though. I spent about 30 minutes making a bracket out of scrap angle to mount it to the fuel filter head. The coolant filter head was like 54$ on eBay with an uncharged filter. It clogged driving to work the first day so I ran a second uncharged filter a few weeks for about 17$. Now I'm running one with 8 units of dca and payed 25$ for it

Napa 4019 filter head
Napa 4070 uncharged filter
Napa 4073 8 units of dca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the zerex g-05 has a higher amount of nitrites, among other addative packages that work great for diesels. I say run it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have run it for years. Its good for us.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh this stuff is like red unmixed, advanced auto sold it to me said it was a better than green antifreeze/ better rated for diesels. I only was concerned when reading online about it hurting people's 6.0's or something but after reading why it doesn't pertain to the idi. So sounds good to use! Replacing all hoses, belts and flushing out cooling system it's only been about 2 years since last time but didn't do hoses or anything before

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I perfer the Zerex HD ELC coolant. It's bright pink, diesel-rated, HOAT coolant and should not require any maintaince.
http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products/zerex-extended-life-antifreeze
About $20/gal at Napa, part number ZXED1

Just keep in mind our old school engines are not designed and are not supposed to use ELC coolants....Some people have done so but they're not supposed too.Just saying.:D

Edit; I seem to recall someone saying they found ELC formulated to work in older engines a while back.I haven't done any research on ELC coolants to know.So long as you do your homework.

Last edited:

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stuff I got is the g-05 I don't belive it's a Elc? It was sorta expensive but figuring you tend to get what you pay for and it's made by valvoline it couldn't have been too bad of stuff lol

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stuff I got is the g-05 I don't belive it's a Elc? It was sorta expensive but figuring you tend to get what you pay for and it's made by valvoline it couldn't have been too bad of stuff lol

Nope.Your good.

Valvolin
e™
ZEREX™ G
®
antifreeze coolant is a long
life, fully formulated
, ethylene
glycol

-based fluid suitable for
passenger cars, light trucks and heavy duty vehicles. The
formulation is designed for both gasoline and diesel engines.
Its lower
-silicate
, reduced pH, phosphate free European
technology protects all cooling system metals
, including
aluminum, from corrosion.
ZEREX™ G
is a nitrite
containing coolant designed to protect diesel engine cylinder
liners from cavitation.
It contains deposit control additives for
protection from hard water deposits and scale. The ASTM
and other test data shown on this sheet reflect the high
performance corrosion inhibitor package.

You say tomato,I say tomato.You say Zerox G05,I say Peak Fleet Charge.:D
You stumbled into figuring correctly for not researching first lol.:Thumbs Up

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run the Go5 in my 7.3 for the past 7 years. No problems so far. I don't get the red color thing though, the G05 that I buy at Napa is a gold color. Looks like applejuice.

Zerex has a high dollar coolant for fleet use, it's red in color.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just keep in mind our old school engines are not designed and are not supposed to use ELC coolants....Some people have done so but they're not supposed too.Just saying.:D

Edit; I seem to recall someone saying they found ELC formulated to work in older engines a while back.I haven't done any research on ELC coolants to know.So long as you do your homework.
I did a bunch of research myself at one point, because I *didn't* want to have to mess with the darned test strips and SCAs.
Found that this Zerex product doesn't seem to cause any issues with seals/O-rings(which is the issue early OAT coolants had), so this was what I ended up picking.
I've put this stuff in all of my (idi)vehicles for a few years now; no issues found. Any time I get a new vehicle, I swap out whatever was in it(typically water or green coolant, most likely lacking in SCAs) with this stuff.

I looked at the G05 first, and actually used it for a short period of time... But as far as I can tell, the HD is better; designed for diesels and OTR engines.
I want the most protection possible in my IDI, so HD is what I got.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The post I'm thinking of from a year or two back,may very well been one of yours.
I still haven't looked into ELC coolants to know anything about them but that makes perfect sense that the companies making the stuff would want to sell as much of it as they can,so seems wise they would make it compatible with older engines as well.Sounds logical to me.

I haven't seen this posted in a while so I'm gunna post this link for any newer diesel guys on the site.To help them get an idea of what we're talking about here.

http://www.oilburners.net/articles/cavitationartic.html
(of course no newer info on ELC though since it's an older article now)

lude and rude

Reaction score
I just swapped everything out to the zerex ELC diesel ready coolant. its bright red. get the concentrate bottles they are a lil more per bottle i think 16.99 vs 11.99 but just 50/50 with distilled and you save a bunch of money. no issues as of yet and everything i read on this stuff said it was fine for our trucks. the big one is to find a fluid that is certified with the most companies especially one of the cat certs. i guess the cat cert is the most complex cert to get for fluids.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last fluid I ran was cat elc which was also red in color I got it for free from my friends dad who works at Peterson cat but I cannot get it again and it's extremely expensive lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online