Your thoughts please

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As posted a while back, I recently purchased a very low mileage '01F250 Ext. Cab PSD 2wd, auto (36,000) from an older gentleman. I've drove the truck some and began putting my to do list together. I pulled the fifth wheel with it the other day, and WOW what a difference over the IDI, I can actually gain speed going up small inclines. The IDI seems to be more stable pulling the trailer, but the PSD can get the load moving and keep it there with little to no effort. Below is a list of some of the things I'd like to do fairly soon, and any input or other ideas is greatly appreciated. One other question, the truck is only being driven about 10 miles highway speeds left sitting most of the day then 10 miles back. Is there anything you would do differently with the truck, maintenance wise, seeing how it is driven short amounts. I have went over the need to let the truck warm up before starting to drive as well as letting it idle for a bit before killing (had someone who should know tell me it's a good idea to let them idle for a minute before shut off) with the one's in the family that will be driving it (mainly my son to and from school). He has also been told that dad has eyes and ears all over town and if I hear or see any evidence that he is hot rodding a truck not meant to be hot rodded he will be walking. He's 18 and been driving our '03 Dodge gasser that has 260k on the clock, and has always taken good care of it.

1. Change oil and filter: Done, used Chevron Delo 15w40 and Motorcraft Filter
2. Drain coolant flush and replace thermostat: Any suggestions on specific coolant is appreciated. Thinking about Chevron Deolo ELC (Silicate Free)
3. Add some Autometer Gauges: Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Trans Temp, and EGT
The stock temp gauge seems to read low (not in the center a little to the cool side) It reads there everytime and never moves. I could hear the fan engaging when pulling the trailer, but temp gauge never moved to halfway.
4. Still researching the Air Filter box upgrade. I believe the upgrade is a Severe Duty Air Box?
5. Change transmission fluid

Only issues I've found with the truck are: A rattling, knocking sound over bumps (seems to be front left) I'm thinking ball joint or sway bar bushings (maybe sway bar end links). Also when the key is turned over waiting on wait to start light after a few seconds there is a sound (almost like an electric motor) it seems to be coming from the front drivers side, down under air box. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I want the truck to last a long time and realize that maintenance is the key to this.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The air filter upgrade you want is the TYMAR.you can make it yourself all you need is a chunk of 4"exhaust pipe with the proper bend in it, I believe its a 45 degree bend.and the filter, I believe napa part#6637 (ill check mine later).only thing you wont have is the fancy bracket wich you can make yourself as well.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The factory temp gauge reading is normal. If the truck has the original upper hose set up. This is where the hose passes between the belt. Change it to the dual alternator set up. The upper hose will go behind the belt. The stock set up will require draining the coolant to change the belt.

DIY Tymar is a great filter set up. Simple, reliable, and cheap.

Tranny fluid. Any Mercon or MerconV will work. Go with synthetics if you tow alot.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#4. Yes, Severe Duty Air Induction System Retrofit Kit (from Ford or Donaldson). It is hands down the best cleanest air filter system out there. I have installed several and worked on multiple customer vehicles with this system on them. There are many options out there, but this is the best for the cleanest air.

It only takes a tiny bit of wiggle in those sway bar bushings to make a clucking sound. Those are most likely the cause of your noise. If they are the same as the 4wd's?

That noise you hear when you are waiting for the glow plugs seems to be normal. I have heard a lot of these pickups make this noise. I don't know what it is, but I have never heard a customer complain about it.