worth persuing? bad clutch.......

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2000 VW Jetta TDI - Needs clutch - $1500 (boulder creek)

You must be registered for see images

2000 VW Jetta TDI 250,000 mi needs a clutch.

I have had estimates ranging from $1000-1500 for the clutch replacement.

The car has been great and gets great mileage. When it was younger it would get 50mpg on the highway and recently was getting about 42-45mpg. I have been told this may come back up with new injectors.

I don't have photos at the moment because it is at the shop and we have decided to get a new car. It is silver with black cloth interior. It has the normal little dimples and scratches you get with this many miles and years, and is in decent condition. AC & heat works good, sunroof, factory 6 cd changer all works.

At about 150-175k mi the head was rebuilt and new cam and lifters installed. This was the result of a timing belt job warranty and should extend the engine life.

Title is clean - not salvage. We bought it from the dealership as a VW Certified car and we are the 2nd owners.

2 new tires on front and a full tank of diesel!

The car is not currently drivable because the clutch is shot. It will need to be towed. * My wife drove it 5mi tonight to our house, but I would not suggest driving it since you have no gear selection and will have to start it in gear.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Posting ID: 3892601743
Posted: 2013-06-24, 3:40PM PDT
Updated: 2013-06-24, 9:00PM PDT
email to a friend

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even given the miles, that seems cheap, especially since the body and interior look to be in good condition. But, maybe the guy doesn't know what he has or is more interested in getting it gone quickly ;Sweet

It's also probably due for a timing belt change.

FWIW...

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours has been a complete pain in my rear....but this is more due to the DSG transmission that we had rebuilt (1 month in shop waiting on parts) only to have it fail 6 months later (another month waiting on parts and fighting with VW over warranty). The car itself gets awesome mileage, rides comfortably, and will outrun many things on the road. I think you can get $1500 of use out of it.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely buy it for that. Put a better clutch in it and get it tuned for a bit more power and enjoy. When I fill my tank up all the way I usually don't come off of full for 200 miles.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I would really want one of those towcat, but i know it would cost more in fuel than it would be worth for you to haul it out here. But you never know when you might be in a quirky mood and say sure.... :rotflmao;Really

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder why the clutch estimates were so high, though? Kits are a cheap (for a German car) and labor is about five and a half hours

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good deal, idparts.com has a vr6 clutch and flywheel combo for only $359 and I've changed one in a gravel driveway before. Just takes a few hours. My 99.5 is still on the original clutch at 225K so you will get plenty of life from the new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online