worrisome Blackstone report

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
not quite sure what to make of it. i posted a pic over at tds: blackstone2

i have so many questions that i had to make a list - obviously, i'll be calling them tommorow.

any experience, advice, comments?
i guess i won't be using those extended oil change intervals much longer...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
uh-oh not good...

You have a bypass filter correct? When was it changed last - maybe it's plugged and alowing the particles to pass around (which particles create even more particles).

I did some math... took 11/2750 to get .004ppm per mile. Then took 15/4223 to get .0035ppm per mile (basically wear per mile). So it pretty much stayed the same but did drop a little.

Looks like she is starting to show her age.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
eek.
i saw you online & hoped you would post... but would've preferred a "don't sweat it" type of reply.

yes, old style amsoil 2qt bypass. changed with oil 4,223 ago (along with the full flow- first time i used a powderstroke size BTW / both are amsoil brand).

can the bearing deterioration be stopped or slowed? how? any way to know which bearings w/o a total tear-down?

using your math, 11/2750 = .004ppm, but the difference of 4ppm in the 1473 miles since the last sample comes up 4/1473 = .0027ppm. maybe even better news? yeah - i'm wearing my rose colored glasses right now...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
well if it were me I would drive and enjoy but that's just me... When she gets to hurt'n she'll let you know.

To be able to tell which bearing - it's a crap shoot - your guess as good as mine.

I like your math better - let's go with it... :)

Ok so the bypass is new so that takes a plugged filter out of the mix if you ask me. Now what you might try doing is dropping the full flow filter at around 3k but keeping the same oil and bypass filter.

I got this idea because before I had the bypass set up installed if I ran her for anywhere between about 3.5~4k between oil and filter changes the full flow would plug up and I would have zero oil pressure at idle but would have good oil pressure at off idle conditions. I found that through sampling that I could just swap the filter and go because the oil was still good (TBN test) just the filter would catch all the junk causing it to clogg and go to a bypass situation (unfiltered oil in engine). So it might be as simple as that... It's worth a try.

did you change the oil and filter this time around? or did you just take a sample?

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
no oil change this sample.
i simply sampled the same day i installed the fumoto... maybe i'll try the shopvac trick with a filter change, run her a few miles on this oil & take another sample, see if that shows any improvement.

in my TDS gallery, i left the pic of my first report - check the comments on that one. i paid for the TBN then, & all looked great then (1473 miles ago).

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
just wondered how much blackstone charges for a sample?
i get mine done thru CNH were i work for about twenty bucks.:)

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Originally posted by rancherman84
just wondered how much blackstone charges for a sample?
i get mine done thru CNH were i work for about twenty bucks.:)
$18.00

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
well i spoke with Blackstone today - alleviated my fears quite a bit.
we'll hope it's not THAT bad, & go about business as usual.

hell, if i blow her up, Freight Train will buy her, right?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Frank,

Well that's not too bad then. I take it as them boys said it's not all that bad can't remember his name but the younger guy seems to be pretty level headed - the older guy seems to get real passionate about stuff. The older guy was the one that about became upset when he found out I switched to AMSOIL and bashed the living snot out of it. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight