WMO and 6.0?

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will undoubtedly hear naysayers and horror stories about WMO in a 6.0 but yes, it can be done. As has already been suggested, the key is proper filtration and also making sure your viscosity is equal to or thinner than diesel. I've run WMO in an IDI (extensive miles), PSD (extensive miles), and a 6.0, and never had a serious maintenance issue that was caused by WMO.

My WMO is filtered finer than what's available at a diesel pump and I don't take shortcuts; which is the same thing you'll hear from almost all successful WMO guys. As for settling the carbon out though, I don't think you'll have much luck. There's a guy on the Internet always talking about his "translucent" blends but his information sometimes approaches ramblings and I take it with a grain of salt.

Other things to think about are that you'll need to advance the timing to keep the smoking down at idle, either through a programmer, chip, etc.

wmoguy

Reaction score
You will undoubtedly hear naysayers and horror stories about WMO in a 6.0 but yes, it can be done. As has already been suggested, the key is proper filtration and also making sure your viscosity is equal to or thinner than diesel. I've run WMO in an IDI (extensive miles), PSD (extensive miles), and a 6.0, and never had a serious maintenance issue that was caused by WMO.

My WMO is filtered finer than what's available at a diesel pump and I don't take shortcuts; which is the same thing you'll hear from almost all successful WMO guys. As for settling the carbon out though, I don't think you'll have much luck. There's a guy on the Internet always talking about his "translucent" blends but his information sometimes approaches ramblings and I take it with a grain of salt.

Other things to think about are that you'll need to advance the timing to keep the smoking down at idle, either through a programmer, chip, etc.

Thx Les! Yep I need to refil the piggy bank after htis purchase and then it'll see WMO blends. I wanna have enough $$ in the "pickup piggy bank" to cover injectors first then I'll run WMO. I'm pretty confident about my fuel quality. I haven't yet focused on viscosity, which I'm thinking is the key for the 6.0.

I've read a TON of stuff on the various boards. That "Jeffrey S Brooks" dude is an absolute trip. I basically fast forward past whatever he has to say. :rotflmao

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you on having the emergency funds but my humble advice would be to help build the piggy bank by running WMO blends. With diesel prices in Western NY at $4.50/gal, it doesn't take too many miles of driving before my $.70/gal W83 blend paid for my injectors. On my 7.3 Excursion, I've already saved the price of injectors and am now trying to recoup the cost of the whole truck! Another 30K miles (or just over a year the way I'm going now) and it'll be paid for!

wmoguy

Reaction score
I hear you on having the emergency funds but my humble advice would be to help build the piggy bank by running WMO blends. With diesel prices in Western NY at $4.50/gal, it doesn't take too many miles of driving before my $.70/gal W83 blend paid for my injectors. On my 7.3 Excursion, I've already saved the price of injectors and am now trying to recoup the cost of the whole truck! Another 30K miles (or just over a year the way I'm going now) and it'll be paid for!

Ah, but you forgot about the "wife factor" :rotflmao

I figure I"ll need about 30 days to have the "feel good" piggybank replenished then I can resume WMO and run it in the 6.0 I prefer to keep the wife happy and comfortable, and that $4k "oops I messed up the pickup piggybank" is important to her. So that's what I'll do :)

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need for further explanations on the feel good fund. As a married guy myself, you had me as soon as you mentioned "the wife factor." If she ain't happy, nobody's gonna be happy, logic be darned. :backoff

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the PSD with it's high FP's, I'm a fan of W82 (82% WMO, 18% RUG). In the IDI, I've found that W85 runs pretty good.

wmoguy

Reaction score
update:

Running WMO in the 6.0 and she's happy as can be. It was single digits out this morning, I didn't plug in last night, and she fired off just like she does on straight diesel. This blend was roughly 35% WMO, 70% Diesel. A far cry from the %'s I ran in my IDI, but it's a start. I'l take a 30% reduction in fuel costs any day of the week!