Winter Prep Time ...Tips

Whit

Reaction score
Yesterday I turned the heater on in the garage (thats sweet now) and did a few minutes work to my truck in preperation for the winter

I installed my Lund winter front enclosures and I also pulled my fan..........I do this every winter its simple just use a 1-7/16 wrench (for the Cummins anyway)and use a BFH to wack it to the right since the threads are reversed (left handed) then screw the fan off there and wiggle it out the top and hang it on the wall for the winter, ( Do not lay flat ever)

* WORD OF CAUTION* never run fanless if you tow unless its light weight, if you do tow light you will need to pull the winter front as well for good air flow thru the intercooler. Also NEVER run yer A/C without the fan ......unless the truck is moving...if you stop the truck with the A/C on the air at the intake horh will reach 220*F.....I know cuz I have a temp sensor at the intake horn just before combustion

Running fanless is worth aprox 1MPG gain as well as faster warmup times...........the 1 MPG gain will be cancelled out with blended fuel though because of lower centane ratings on #1 fuel.........In Wyoming the stations blend 50/50 in the winter

Other winter tips are to always run a good additive to increasze yer pour point and ALWAYS have an extra jug on hand

Use of synthetic in the front end rearend and tranny is also a plus........synthetic in the motor is manditory for cold startups in my oppinion....I have also found that a good synthetic ATF works well in the P/S pump and eleminates the howl on cold startups( sounds like a coyote in heat)

always plug in when the temp gets to Zero or lower....if ya cant plug in then cycle the grid heaters two times before cranking up

Cheers,Kevin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online