Window motors, any good sources or all junk?

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heya fellas. A few years back my driver side window motor kicked the bucket, I went cheap and replaced it with whatever crap O'Reilly's had in stock, either Dorman or Delco, I don't remember which. Worked great at first, but now it's dead again. Turns out 7 year old Chinese kids can't rebuild window motors, who knew?

Anyways, i'm looking at RockAuto and all I see available is remans. I can get a Motorcraft reman from them, but they're probably being "rebuilt" by the same Chinese kids. Does anyone know a source for a GOOD window motor? I don't want to replace junk with junk again, i'm pissed enough that I gotta do this twice, if I have to do it again in 2 years it's getting permanently fixed with hand-crank windows.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the motor apart and see what failed?

I rebuilt one motor myself - took my worn-out factory motor and put some new brushes in it(measured them and then searched Ebay); it's still working fine.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got tired of crap windows and bought the Dorman Window regulator with Motors. They work great. Best my windows have ever worked in my 89. My theory is the regulator starts getting tight from rust and lack of lubrication and kills motors. The new regulator and dorman motor design seems to work great. We'll see how long, but so far I'm a happy camper.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got tired of crap windows and bought the Dorman Window regulator with Motors. They work great. Best my windows have ever worked in my 89. My theory is the regulator starts getting tight from rust and lack of lubrication and kills motors. The new regulator and dorman motor design seems to work great. We'll see how long, but so far I'm a happy camper.

too bad you cant find these for the rear doors of a crew cab :/

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
too bad you cant find these for the rear doors of a crew cab :/

Crap, I had hopes of taking the rear door motors out of an Explorer and trying to fit them.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the motor apart and see what failed?

I rebuilt one motor myself - took my worn-out factory motor and put some new brushes in it(measured them and then searched Ebay); it's still working fine.
I really don't want to mess with the thing more than I have to, I've never rebuilt an electric motor and I don't want to do the job a third time if I make a rookie mistake. R&R and move on to the next problem, I've got no shortage there :D
Did the motor fail or the rubber fuse thing that strips?
Trying to use the window still causes a voltage drop (using the factory volt gauge, it dips noticeably when holding the window switch), so I assume it's getting power and it's just too weak to move the glass, but that's still just an assumption because I haven't pulled the door panel off yet. It's been raining and I don't have a dry spot to work in.
Last time the motor died, I tossed in a new regulator from Ford at the same time. It wasn't inexpensive, but the thought behind it was I didn't want to be back in there a month later if the 20+ year old regulator decided to die next.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check window tracks for tightness, also fuse box for loose fuse holder/ burnt wires.

Robm45497

Reaction score
big problems with the wires breaking at the hinge side of the door. they get old and brittle then Frey and break.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heya fellas. A few years back my driver side window motor kicked the bucket, I went cheap and replaced it with whatever crap O'Reilly's had in stock, either Dorman or Delco, I don't remember which. Worked great at first, but now it's dead again. Turns out 7 year old Chinese kids can't rebuild window motors, who knew?

Anyways, i'm looking at RockAuto and all I see available is remans. I can get a Motorcraft reman from them, but they're probably being "rebuilt" by the same Chinese kids. Does anyone know a source for a GOOD window motor? I don't want to replace junk with junk again, i'm pissed enough that I gotta do this twice, if I have to do it again in 2 years it's getting permanently fixed with hand-crank windows.

if you want some stock doors to rob the guts out of, let me know

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went and did some checking. I looked at the wires between the door and cab, I couldn't get the cab-side of the conduit to pop out before I got interrupted by customers, but the door side looks ok.

BUT, now my power locks will only lock, unlock is broken. Both the driver side and passenger side lock switches only lock, no unlock, and my remote switch won't unlock it either. It was fine this morning till I messed with the driver door wiring conduit.

There is definitely an electrical issue here somewhere. And I know it's been fked with before because the PO put an alarm system in.

Gentlemen, the game has begun. It's gonna be dry for a few days and work should be slow this week. Time to break out the Chilton book and find this gremlin the hard way. This is #1 on the list of things I hoped I would never have to do, I don't get along well with electric spaghetti. Oh well, ******** never fixed anything, right?

Edit to add: I also confirmed with my multimeter that trying to move the driver window does cause a voltage drop. The motor is probably still bad, but now I get to maybe find the cause of death, might not have been the motors own fault.

if you want some stock doors to rob the guts out of, let me know
Thanks, i'll keep that in mind if I do decide to swap to crank windows.

Last edited:

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope it's ok, to post a question here. Does anyone have any links to where I can get brushes for mine?

89 f250 window motor brushes.

Or maybe a repair kit that includes them???

Robm45497

Reaction score
i will bet if you strip back the electrical tape before where the wires enter the door you will find cracked and broken wires and they will becorroded before they go into the door.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open the motor, most likely the Gear stripped as they are made out of cheap CHINESE Shity plastic that ride on a Bigger CHEAP CHITTY CHITTY gear, Take it a part , clean it well, grease it after you insert 3 Bolts to get the small gear to wedge to the teeth correctly rather than it slips. $.60 repair BUT downfall is the motor will be at full force going up / down so keep your finger or your child finger clear out on the up

OOOH and keep the dog head out the way if you are one person who to have a lab dog as you drive . Problem solved :Thumbs Up

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media