Will this be it for a while

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wil this be it for a while

I have not been reading the ford forums..... But I do like the 05 superduties.... In the next year I was thinking of buying a ford... But rumors of a 6.3 twin turbo have me waiting..... The of course I would want to give that motor a year to prove itself... Is this true? does anyone have any more info????

ISNMU

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumors are flying right now, I actually heard a 6.4L but am uncertain of the twin turbo situation. I think the 6.0 was/is a good powerplant that like most manufactureres the first model year is a disaster, the more recent 6.0's have been reliable. I am sorta sorry to see them consider dropping it and starting the "first year blues" all over again.

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is a shame to drop the 6 already. It seems like with most manufacturers it takes a couple of years just to get it right.

slingingsmoke

Reaction score
well, they're (ford) not dropping the six 'oh. They're just punching out the cylinders for more Cu In. "rumor" has it that it'll be a similar block casting.

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
I wonder if its going to suffer the same cavitation issues the 7.3L IDI did when they punched it out from 6.9L? On my 1994 IDIT with 230,000 I think its starting to develop cavitation issues. even with proper SCA maintenance since DAY1 owned by me since new.

hopefully like the 6.9L to 7.3L overbore they will increase the head bolt size to help combat the some head gasket issues found on the current 6.0L

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont forget the difference in compression ratios between the IDI's and the DIT's. The higher compression ratios were a direct correlation to the cavitation issues.

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
And the degas cooling system on the DIT motors helped some also. I was just pointing out there track record for boring out diesel motors hasn't been the best! I would think there's a reason for International to have designed the VT365 to only displace 6.0L 365Ci. they put that extra meat in there original design's for a reason. IM not saying its doomed to be a disaster but after seeing all the problems that the 6.0L still has I don't think boring it out is going to be any better! I wonder if they will finally go to common rail injection?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, this will be interesting to say the least. You can lay heavy odds that I wont be a lab rat and own one of the new ones. No different than the first 6.0's. The track record just isnt there.

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
Definitely agreed I PERSONALLY know 5 people. (ALL personal friends no flaming no third party comments) that have been left sitting by the side of the highway with horses in tow when there 6.0L died.

One was on Easter Sunday coming west into Vegas when the HPOP grenaded, with 4 horses in the trailer after a long week on the road. Others were 2 turbos. One fragged a piston and the other was an EBP sensor not allowing the truck to start. And these are people I know well not to mention how many others have been left stranded and several IC tube blow offs. all above disasters were on DEAD stock trucks

Out of all my friends that own 6.0L's probably close to 25 I know 10 that are dead stock and blow coolant.

I really want to buy a new truck to replace our 00 PSD 2x4 DRW Western Hauler with 255,000 miles on it but I just don't trust the 6.0 to get me home. Knock on wood the 7.3L never failed to get me home once. Not even a flat tire!

JohnBoyToo

Reaction score
Not starting a battle, just trying to temper the extreme positions and as with all statistics u can glean what u want from them :)

"The first year 6.0 was a disaster" is a statement you hear a lot...
but I'm no sure it bears out when you really look at it...

I think it is more a result of the "get it done now and what is my immediate bottom line - save me a penny NOW - to hell with the future" logic of most CEO's and companies.... that work on bonuses each year :)

ALL products are not what they used to be !!!

As far as my track record with Ford diesels, I thought the last year 7.3 was a disaster as it left me on the road multiple times in my 02 Ex....

my first year 03 6-oh Ex was SOLID - ran well - especially when turned up with a tuner - and was running solid when I traded it on the new 05 Ex....

I really worried about trading it in, but with 60K miles on it and as hard as I drive - and knowing no new Ex's were being made I wanted the last one so it could last me longer :)

and it's been super fr the first 12k miles...

but that's just my story....

and honestly - I see a LOT of 6-oh's running around the dfw area and NONE on the side of the road :)

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
I got a 03 and the only problem i am having is the EBP sensor is going, does not want to start the first try sometimes and has a lope a idil somedays.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Had an 03 till bout 2 months ago and had 43k when we traded it in......For less expensive ride, but the EBP, MAF and EGR were the only issues and that was 2 months befor turn in. It was a May 03 build and was happy with the truck. Kinda hated to part with it but was kinda skeered with the ones posting problems. Couldn't / didn't want that issue on such a tight budget these days. Would get another if'n the price was right down the road tho. Twas a good truck, just not gonna do a new model / upgrade thing again tho. cookoo Got lucky on the last I guess.

swanee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been pretty happy with my 04/03 :Thumbs Up I've had some minor problems/issues, but mostly paranoia I think from reading the forums. ;Poke Probably never would have even noticed had I not read it. :backoff Anyhow, from what little I've been able to glean on the subject, the change to the 6.4 w/ twins was strictly to meet new EPA requirements that couldn't be reliably met with the 6.0. The enviro nazis may make it so bad we won't see any long lived engines any more. :frustrate :frustrate :shoot: :shoot: :fan:

NVCowboy

Reaction score
I promised my wife that my '02 would last me 10 years or 200k. I am in paid off truck title in the gun safe land right now. Several things are really tempting about hte new trucks. Trailer brakes, Tow command, the fold up rear seat in the crew cabs, the front suspension, and upfitter switches. If someone totaled my truck tomorrow, I dont know what I would do. Probably look pretty hard for a used 7.3. The thought of a V10 makes me want to :puke: . There are happy 6.0 owners and there are unhappy ones so I dunno. I am a happy 7.3 owner (albiet jealous of '05 improvements). I just hope the Lord and :angel: s keep me safe from any collisions so I dont have to think about the decisions I would have to make. Hospitals suck too.