Why does this block not seem to have a serial number

mackmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 7.3 out of a 88 f super duty. I pulled this engine out out of my truck and few months back. I have been slowly pulling it apart . The engine is shot i lost bearings on the bottom end but today I noticed something I never looked at before. Next to to the injector pump in the block where there should be a serial number stamped there is nothing. Why would this be.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Was it ground off for some reason? I can't tell from your picture. If not, maybe it was third shift and they just missed it for some reason.

mackmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to me it was ground off i'dk why someone would do that I take some better picture tomorrow and clean it up more . I'm not expert but I have two other idi,s and they both have a number stamped here.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the engine was rebuilt(which could easily be), the machine shop will often surface that area along with the head seating surface.
Usually, they will re-mark it with new markings, but they could have just forgot or not cared enough.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That would explain why I've seen someone else's rebuild have their number stamped in place of the factory one. When I worked in a place that remanned these engines, our machine shop left that area alone except to put a number of their own there. We would also stamp one of ours on there when it was built so it would leave with three serial numbers.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Can you tell the forum if the pistons are standard or oversize? Can you tell if the block was sleeved and the pistons are mahle or other brand. What about the crank undersize. Finding any sizes that are not standard tells you this was rebuilt and probably this area of serial numbers was machined off... For no good reason too. This are of the block is not"special" like the block to head surface.

mackmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you tell the forum if the pistons are standard or oversize? Can you tell if the block was sleeved and the pistons are mahle or other brand. What about the crank undersize. Finding any sizes that are not standard tells you this was rebuilt and probably this area of serial numbers was machined off... For no good reason too. This are of the block is not"special" like the block to head surface.
The pistons are mahle I do not know about size yet. It does not appear that the block was sleeved as far as I can tell.

mackmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pistons are mahle I do not know about size yet. It does not appear that the block was sleeved as far as I can tell.

Cylinders measure about 4.0930 inches in diameter. What would I measure on the crank?

mackmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it's probably a replacement then or someone did a rebuild on it