Who has had an add a leaf on there d60 and then took it out?

e30bradley

Reaction score
When I bought my f250 it had a d44 ttb with new tripple leaf pack and rode like crap. Fall 2015 I swapped in a d60 with a newer triple leaf pack from a dump truck. I remember feeling like it rode a bit better but lately the ride is really getting to me. The back of the truck has the standard pack of 5 leafs and the front seems to be the regular 2 and then a ~5/8" thick extra one, just like my ttb had. I want to take this extra leaf out but at the cost of u bolts, center bolts and time I don't want to regret it.

I use the truck lately for just truck things with a little bit of empty driving/ errands too. Typical load towed is 3-9k lbs and sometimes I fill the bed level with stones, Sheetrock, or plywood.

Truck is also used for snow plowing. I try to carry 900lbs or so of ballast against the tailgate whenever possible but sometimes I move the plow with an empty bed.

Last edited:

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my front shocks with 1,100lb air shocks, and with the rear air bags and auto compressor my 9,000lb f350 dually 4x4 rides smooth as can be. Compressor shocks, regulators, lines, fittings and check valves I think it cost me around $300 the truck already had rear air springs so probably another $250 for thst kit.

You could buy just the shocks and manual air kit for like $75 but they do leak down that's why I installed a tank and compressor with adjust are regulator in the cab. I'm not sure about removing leafs from a leaf pack.

e30bradley

Reaction score
I replaced my front shocks with 1,100lb air shocks, and with the rear air bags and auto compressor my 9,000lb f350 dually 4x4 rides smooth as can be. Compressor shocks, regulators, lines, fittings and check valves I think it cost me around $300 the truck already had rear air springs so probably another $250 for thst kit.

You could buy just the shocks and manual air kit for like $75 but they do leak down that's why I installed a tank and compressor with adjust are regulator in the cab. I'm not sure about removing leafs from a leaf pack.

e30bradley

Reaction score
How many leaf springs do you have in the front of your truck? I've never seen a ford come with more than two front leaf springs. Even f450 two Car rollback trucks.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many leaf springs do you have in the front of your truck? I've never seen a ford come with more than two front leaf springs. Even f450 two Car rollback trucks.

agreed. I've had all of these, 89 F350 4x4 , new 96 F250 4x4 , and my parts truck a 97 F450. all came with 2 tapered leafs, no matter the GVW. they just had different rating on the leafs.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take that junk out! But if the truck is just now starting to give a rough ride, a new set of quality shocks are warranted.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have 2. Mines a 1996 F350 Cab and Chassis 11k gvwr DRW 4x4. Is your 3rd spring releif spring or actually part of the pack?

You must be registered for see images attach

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cab and chassis in my sig

Got 2 as well. Need an RSK pretty bad.

You must be registered for see images

e30bradley

Reaction score
The third leaf is part of the pack. It's under the other two and reaches all the way under the eyelets. The triple leaf packs are available online. Like I said, the po of my truck put one in right before I bought it and then the d60 swap truck I found just happened to have a like new triple leaf pack in it as well.

I am definitely going to take the third leaf out. When I put the d60 in fall of 2015 I rebuilt everything including new poly bushings in the springs and new shocks. Maybe 20k miles on the setup now.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheap shocks can easily go out in 20k miles, especially with springs too stiff.

e30bradley

Reaction score
The shocks are Monroe. I don't know which model. I'm pretty sure the front springs are 4250lbs capacity per side.. so 9500 lbs of springs and my truck only weighs 6500 ish

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Shawn MacAnanny, post: 935339, member: 27419"
[/QUOTE]

Is it just me or are those tie rods bent?

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Shawn MacAnanny, post: 935339, member: 27419"

Is it just me or are those tie rods bent?[/QUOTE]

I dont know? Haha i did just have it aligned by a "real" truck shop and specifically asked them to look over anything loose or bent, they said they couldnt find anything loose, nor could i. It steers straight but im getting slight inner wear on my tires. The drag link is defnitely bent but shouldnt it be to clear the front axle cover?

e30bradley

Reaction score
That is supposed to be like that.

Shawn, it looks like you have something between your spring and the axle. Is that a caster shim? What is it? I don't have anything between my springs and the axle. I don't have a steering stabilizer either although the truck I took the axle from had one.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the shim is, i can take a better picture when the snow melts and i pressure wash everything off. The steering stabilizer is a must, i am actually replacing mine becuase i'm getting a slight bounce in my steering when i hit bumps.