White smoke

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine is working on an 99 F600 truck with an intercooled and turbo charged 5.9 Cummings. The truck starts rough then clears up when warm, but smokes the whole time. When accelerating it chuggs, has no power and it still smokes. We pulled codes but we were unable to get ahold of anything to reference them to. The truck doesn't have much for milage (150,000 - 200,000). Also the truck sits all winter.
If anyone could point me in the right direction my friend and I would greatly appreciate it. If anything at all i need code reference.
Thank you in advance.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well are you loosing any coolant? Also post up what the codes were and ill see what i can find. Have the injectors ever been replaced and has the VP44 ever been changed? Get back to us with some answers and we'll go from there!

-Jordan-

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The injector pump is a new rebuilt and it looks like only one or maybe two injectors have been changed. I couldn't get a definate on the milage roughly 250,000. And I talked to the guy directly, he said white smoke goes away after warm up. It runs fine when at opperating temp, sorry for the bad info the guy (my friend) thats trying to fix it didn't actually drive it. The issue is the yellow engine warning light goes on at rendom, and it cuts the power. And the code is the coolant level sensor.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So its low on coolant then? Possibly burning coolant because of a blown headgasket. Have him find out for sure if it is burning/ or loosing coolant.

-Jordan-

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had known about the coolant sensor before I would have waited to post this. I would have told him to change that first.
Can a bad injector put a hot spot on the cylinder wall?

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He swears he checks the coolant every time he runs it. And he does have to add sometimes because of a bad heater core line.
Sorry for the bad info next time I'm gonna go strait to the source.
The way my friend told me it sounded a lot more complicated, and at first he told me temp sencor.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the only reason hes loosing coolant is a leakin heater core hes not burning it? Has he smelt the exhaust to see if if it was unburnt fuel or coolant. Could be one or a couple bad injectors too

-Jordan-

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the only reason hes loosing coolant is a leakin heater core hes not burning it? Has he smelt the exhaust to see if if it was unburnt fuel or coolant. Could be one or a couple bad injectors too

-Jordan-

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well thats good, sounds like its time for some new injectors! I know a few good places to get some online if he needs somewhere to get em

-Jordan-

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online