White smoke somebody help

Hossidi

Rollin black coal
Reaction score
Put a little to much cetane booster in my 6.0 earlier when I filled up. It's white smoking when idling but not when I get on it. Is my truck hurt????????

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I dont think that will hurt it. If you have too much in there you need to dilute it with diesel a little bit.
How much did you put in?
Ken

Hossidi

Rollin black coal
Reaction score
I doubled the regular dose. I got to talkin and wasn't paying attention and put what was left in the tank

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I would just dilute it with regular diesel as soon as the tank is down some. I dont think you put enough in there to hurt it. The best way to hurt a 6.0 injector is water, run out of diesel, or contaminated oil.
Ken

Hossidi

Rollin black coal
Reaction score
Ok now I'm begining to think it has nothing to do with that kleen diesel additive I put in it. I've ran one tank through it and put new fuel in and it is still smokin when idling but not when I give it a little or a lot of throttle i can tell a small power loss but nothing major only problem is it is going through antifreeze and water like crazy!!!! I have filled the resevior twice today!!! At one point today it was hard to start. The oil looks fine and it hasn't used any. Somebody tell me what the heck Is wrong with it. It has 106,000 miles on it. And I just bought it I'm very disappointed in it. I'm starting to want my idi back. At least it never tore up no matter what I done to it. Plus it had 328,990 miles when I got rid of it.

Hossidi

Rollin black coal
Reaction score
I have no idea what it is??? But if it just so kappa to b a headgasket how much will that cost to get repaired?

Hossidi

Rollin black coal
Reaction score
Ok thanks to everybody. But how much is it to get them replaced? Do u have to jack the cab up on them to replace the h gaskets???

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I think they had hg issues and it sure sounds like that could be an issue. I think most stud them with gaskets, but I don't follow 6.0's much. I know a couple people that had to replace them at 100,000 or so, both studded the engine at the hg change.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
STOP DRIVING IT!
It is most likely a blown EGR cooler. You need to consider changing the EGR cooler and oil cooler now. I just went through this with my 06. If youre going to repair it I highly recomend either deleting the EGR cooler altogether or using a bulletproof diesel or Sinister diesel EGR cooler.
A quick test it to take the degas bottle cap off when cold and start the truck up. Note how much air is coming out of the bottle. Pull the electrical wire from the turbo that controlls the vanes (looks like a solenoid) and see if that air stops or slows. If it does you need an EGR cooler. If nothing changes you might need head gaskets. A blown EGR cooler leads to blown head gaskets. If youre truck is stock this is even more true.
Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck