White smoke out exhaust and puking oil....HELP

AKBoling

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2000 5.9 5 speed, I bought it after my cousin checked it out because I was out of town and couldn't check it out personally. I flew down picked it up and proceeded on the 200 mi trip home. Everything seemed good, oil good, coolant good, gauges read good. On the drive home the egt's never broke 800, fuel psi was 13-14, engine temp 160-180, oil pressure 40-60. Anyway I made it to Anchorage about 50 miles from my house and got stuck in traffic and it started blowing white smoke from the exhaust and idle was slightly rough. I pulled over and checked things out, coolant and oil levels were good, all gauges were still good. I drove it the rest of the way home and when I got out there was oil everywhere all over the front of the engine and under the truck. It still starts right up and all the gauges check out good. It is showing a fair amount of blowby when I pull the oil fill cap off. The cruise control does not work but I don't know how long its been that way. From my experience the white smoke from the exhaust doesn't smell like coolant and there is no oil in the coolant or vice versa.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Then you have a oil leak somewhere. Clean it up, then run it while looking closely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

AKBoling

Reaction score
It dumped a gallon of oil in 50 miles its not a leak its getting pushed out the crank case vent. Also oil leaks don't cause white exhaust smoke and a rough idle.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, it could be leaking in/from the turbo.
Otherwise you're looking at a headgasket. Do a compression/leak down test.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Kyle Blair

Reaction score
Jasper79/could you explain details about oil leaking in from the turbo?I'm having the same issue

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil out the exhaust and or breather problems will usually be from one or more of the following.

Turbo oil seals
Valve seals
Head gasket
Burnt rings
Failed cylinder
Failed piston

Start by checking out the turbo. It’s the easiest to check and not uncommon to fail on a high mile or old age turbo diesel.

Then do a compression test and a leak down test.

rgaus

Reaction score
I now have a 1999 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 24v. When drove it home it was leaking oil around the front left corner of the engine. These trucks have a engine driven vacuum pump in this location which also drives the power steering pump. On my truck on the front timing cover is also the crankcase vent.

As suggested with leaks - power wash everything with degreasure to locate the leak.

I found three leaks...
1 - Vacuum pump oil seal leaking heavy between vacuum pump and PS pump.
2 - PS pump was also leaking.
3 - Excessive blowby out of the crankcase vent cause by numerous vacuum leaks - the vacuum pump exhausts into front timing cover.

Hope this helps anyone...

Suggest also using https://www.cumminsforum.com for help.

Bob G.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online