white smoke... almost all the time :(

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
In a feisty mood ....

When using that ether to start, have the hood open so it don't get damaged when a head blows, or maybe it will tick and/or knock because the rods are bent.

Hey Bill,

You are in a feisty mood

I think you need a ride in 1977 Cougar ;Sweet

I'm working on getting it to ya' :D

Jim

Titojeep

Reaction score
Unless I missed something, I'm not sure if you stated your milage. If you're at 100K or 200K respectively, then it's time for injectors and pump. I too had similar issues, along with a hesitation at cruising speed. I was at 199K on the original pump and injectors. Put them new, and WOW, new truck again. Assuming you're confident with the condition of your block, go ahead with the new IP and injectors it's too cheap to waste time. These engines are all about compression, Fuel, and air flow.

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
287K - new engine

the truck has 287 k on it. the pump is kinda new, but i should get a moose and some bb injectors

287K is most likely engine or cylinder head overhaul time ...

A compression test on all (8) cylinders is where you need to start ....

Jim

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chime in? I doubt that engine is tired, but wouldn't hurt to check.

That fuel system is in need of desperate attention. Judging from where the truck came from and who owned it previously, I wouldn't doubt it has a DPS pump n G codes in it, causing all the smoke.

Just wait til summer n WMO, you'll love to hate the smoke and smell. Run it till it blows.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Undoubtedly you have leakers. Start with new injectors for sure. If you can afford to do the pump also, then do it. When the smoke burns your eyes, it is almost always due to dripping fuel on the exhaust stroke.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, new to engines agnem, but im learning. But what does that mean when it is leaking fuel on the exhaust stroke?

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, does that mean lifter springs are weak or something?? that way when the exhaust valve opens, fuel is getting in there too?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
It means that the injector is dripping fuel into the cylinder during the exhaust stroke. The white smoke is this incomplete burned fuel. That's why it burns your eyes.

s.blake57

Reaction score
in my experience idi engine the injectors r just nozzles the injection pump does all the work i think its safe to say its ur injection pump

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my experience idi engine the injectors r just nozzles the injection pump does all the work i think its safe to say its ur injection pump

When the pintle doesn't seat correctly due to wear or deposits it will dribble the excess fuel from the lines into the cylinder and cause excessive smoke- I know cause my truck does this-the injectors need to be replaced.

s.blake57

Reaction score
80% of the time when i worked on those trucks i found the injection nozzles will almost out last 2 injection pumps before needing any replacment but i can be wrong but i serviced a fleet of 32 fords with idi engines with and without factory turbos but again i my b wrong