which tranny do I want?

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Well not long ago i got a 93 with an auto tranny and had test drove it around town and the tranny was just fine but after the hour and a half drive home the tranny started to slip pretty bad. So here's my question I am going to be dropping this engine into a ford that currently has an idi. I would like to stick with the dodge tranny but am also planning on having this truck put out some hp. I am hoping to eventually get into the 350 400 hp range and am going to need at tranny to hold up to that. I dont have a lot of cash to spend but do know that the trannys are going to have to be built up and that it wont be cheap. Just want to know if i should work to get this one built up or if I need to get a different tranny that will take less to build up.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Rebuilding the one you have will work as good as any if you have the capability, tools and put the proper upgrade parts in it. Rebuild completely, add a shift kit, Extra clutches in the clutch packs and a deep pan. Install with a good converter and you will have what you need. If you have any questions PM me.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Are both applications the same; i.e. is both the donor truck and recipient a 4x4 or 2wd auto? If not then you'll need some fabrication work done and the 2wd A518 is going to be hard to adapt to a 4x4 unless you go with a divorced t-case.

Next, the A518 is a decent trannie; it's essentially identical to the 46RH in the early 2nd Gen trucks. Don't know if you can get one to reliably hold up to 350-400.

Last, it's going to take quite a chunk of change to get a VE equipped Cummins to get into the 350 range and even more to get to 400. Once you get over 300 you're pushing the limits of the VE pump as it originally came and to go higher you'll need internal modifications to the pump. And of course to get there you'll need the requisite injectors, fuel pump, exhaust system, turbo, intercooler, etc. Your turbo upgrade will require pulling the head and fire ringing it which adds to the cost.

If you're looking for a dyno king, the VE engine isn't it. If you're looking for a torque monster for building a tow rig then the VE is the ticket due to the fueling characteristics of the pump. A VE engine making 300 rwhp will make about the same torque as say a P-pump engine making 400+.

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Yeah I know that this is going to cost me but I am planing to do this over a long period of time it is just that the tranny is going and i am trying to plan ahead. The donor truck is a 4x4 and I am actually going to be dropping the it in my 91 ford that I am having engine issues with and i have already went and redone the body on that truck. I am not looking for a dyno king just a truck that i will be able to pull with and spin the tires when I want to. I am still in high school and this is just a truck that I am planning on keeping around for a long time and just upgrade as I get money and time.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Being a good puller and being able to spin the tires isn't difficult with a VE truck and doesn't require huge amounts of money to do. When you're doing the swap and while the motor is out of the body, pull the head and do the fire ring at that time. Might as well check the KDP while you're in there. If you have the fundage at that time swap out the cam and bump the timing. Do as much as you can while the engine is out cause it'll make things easier.

Do those things, max the fuel screw, get a good set of injectors, and a good turbo setup and you should easily break 300 and be knocking on 350. Your weakest link is the auto as it is parasitic to power to the ground.