Where to put heater hoses ? New core installed.

Mechanicfingers

Reaction score
I installed new heater core . I connected the hose from the inside of heater core close to motor on to the fitting on top of water pump. Now I didn't see the tee before which comes from bottom of radiator. That hose was connected directly to tee then went into passenger side of cylinder head . And the other side of tee went too water pump connection bypassing heater core completely. This was the way I got truck so I hooked up the new line from inside of heater core close to motor to nipple on water pump .So what's my next move ?

Mechanicfingers

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The flow direction is from the head to the heater core. Then from heater core to the water pump and the bypass to the bottom of the radiator.Now something about the small line to the radiator. This is only found on the auto trans trucks or vans. Design is to heat up the trans fluid quicker.This really is not a requirement from everything this forum has found out from years of research. Its like the fuel filter heater. It DOSE NOT WORK.. First off its just under the top of the filter head. Can't heat up the diesel when its on top like that.Ever see heat being applied to the top of the pan on the stove??? Even if they are operated like the factory tells us to.It wont work. Factory tells us to turn on the ignition switch to first detent. Watch the glow plug light go out and wait an additional 7 minutes. then shut off key and turn it on again to reset the glow plugs. then the light goes out you can start the engine... NOBODY DOES THIS. Ford kept this a secret for years.
Now about the line going to the bottom of the radiator. It may seems like it flows plenty of coolant but it does not. the bottom tank fitting is drilled down to about 1/8 inch hole for very little flow. Kind of surprises everyone too. BTW that factory hose will cost you better than 100 bucks these days.No really need for it. If you choose to keep it and find a leak just cut and splice in a new section of line. No need for a swedged fitting replacement. Its just coolant at maybe 12 lbs.
Finally that coolant fitting in the passenger side head is going to have an orfice in it too. they are no longer available from Ford either. About 10 years ago I found this fiting had the flow reducer in it and wanted a new one for my new rebuild. I purchased the LAST ONE Ford had after a nation wide search. You might find one at Navistar because they actually built this engine for Ford. they also installled these engines in many mudium duty U haul and dump trucks like the S 1600 rigs.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may help too. If you are replacing the heater hose that runs from the "tee" to the bottom of the radiator, that hose is only 1/2" dia., not the usual 5/8" dia. You can reuse that "tee" by carefully cutting off the crimps and simply using worm drive hose clamps.

Attachments

• heater hose.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

Mechanicfingers

Reaction score
Got it i hooked it up the way drawing shows with going the right way . My frankenstein has a 545 trans so I have a large trans cooler mounted with filter . So the need for that extra cooling line is useless . so I just plugged it off cut out tee and saved it . Seems to work just fine. My feet were nice and toasty in the cab and windows defrosted nicely. Thanks guys. I read a few posts but both of you guys that helped me kindvof make a educated guess on how it was suppose to go. Again you guys are solid. !!